Hartke 3500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bas_anton, Jun 6, 2001.

1. I`ve been thinking of buying the Hartke 3500. Can anyone tell me about there experience about this amplifier?
  2. I have a Hartke 210 Combo which has the 3500 in it. I've had it for about 7 years now and its been an excellent performer on 100's of gigs and who knows how many rehearsals. I recently had to have the preamp rebuilt which is the only problem I've had with it in all the time I've owed it.

I really like the tone. I use a the tube preamp mostly, though sometimes I'll mix in a little of the SS preamp for some extra oomph. I have the compression on 4, the graphic eq off and the bass and treble contours centered. I get a lot of compliments on my tone.

If you find a good deal on a 3500 then give it try.
  3. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've had the 3500 for about 5 months, and I really love it. I got it for $372 at www.music123.com and for the price it's awesome. It's a really powerful amp, has tube and solid state pre-amp (which is great), compression, a 10 band graphic EQ, contour; well you know the features.

I haven't had any problems with it so far (hope I never do). I've been very happy with it. I run the Hartke to a single 8 ohms Peavey 410TXF cab, so it puts out 240 watts (350 watts if you get two 8 ohms cabs or a single 4 ohms cab). With 240 watts I only have to turn to "4" on the volume knob when I play on gigs. It's LOUD...

I really recommend you to try it out, you'll probably like it. If you don't then try every amp you can, and buy the one YOU like the most.

Good Luck...
  4. I've used a 3500 with a 410XL & 115XL cabs- not a bit of trouble out of any of them. It has a great punchy tone. I'm quite happy with it.
  5. I've had my 3500 for a little over a year. Bought used. Got it cheap, had a couple cosmetic flaws that I fixed. This required opening the sucker up, plus I wanted to dust the thing inside. Solid construction, shouldn't ever have a problem with the power amp side.

Now problems (most due to extreme usage no doubt)

The Passive input has gone flaky in just the last month. So I'll have to order a new input module (has both the active and passive inputs, checked it out when I opened it up the first time). I'll blame this on the used status, it looks like this thing's been dropped on it face...ouch.

XLR DI out has a noticable hum to it when playing live. The ground lift hasn't helped. But I attribute it to the sound guy's setup. Only happens at one place we play. So I have to borrow some crappy DI box from them...ick.

The little grey pieces of plastic that go over the graphic EQ will come off if they are bumped in transport (lost one..damnit)

Sound wise? Great..more than I had expected. Plenty of power for my 1x15 eminence cab. Shakes da booties. I'm sure when I build the 4x10 cab I should be able to kill small woodland creatures with it. Good tone shaping, I use about 5 on tube, 2.5 on SS. Emphasize the mids on the EQ a bit, cut the highs. -4 for lows and highs on the contour. Sounds great with my Toby pro5 and carvin BB70. I can't say I desire any different in tone. Works great for our rock/funk stuff.

6. I bought a used 3500 for $100 Its a very good amp
    I love it I dont like the compressor so I dont use that but its all I need.
  7. geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I've had the same 3500 for at least 6 years now (maybe longer). It's been very reliable and fit my volume and tone needs very well. I use it with all the controls flat, EQ bypassed, and 50/50 tube/ss pre. It has always been racked. I swapped the pre-tube to a groove tubes model and it made a noticable difference. The other thing you should know, is that I was never truly happy with the sound until I got quality cabs. I use it in a rock setting now, but it's done jazz, folk and funk as well. Try it out. Try a bunch of other stuff out too. This one has worked for me for years. I think of swapping it out once in a while, but if it ain't broke.....

BTW, the compressor sucks.
  8. I have been running my Hartke 210 combo with the 3500 head since I bought it new in 1991.

Have had to have the head almost completely re-soldered due to the fact that they are mfg'd over in Korea using "robotic arms" which do the soldering and the solder joints are for the most part all cold, meaning they are very brittle and break easily. This was told to me by my tech who is a former Samson repair tech in NYC. He hand soldered for the most part the entire head, this was 5-6 yrs ago and it had been great ever since.

If your Ha3500 goes bad first thing I would suspect is the solder connections.......

Good Luck !!
  9. I have been playing my Hartke 3500 for the past 6 years now. It has always been a reliable road ready rig. I also use the tube pre only. It has plenty of features that will get you through most of what you may want to do. If you want to stay under $500 the go for it. I have actually been looking to replace it. Just time to step up to bigger and better things.
  10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Actually thats what i use to record with! I use it with a 4-10 and i love it!
  11. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, I have the same head, and I must admit it's worth it's price, but to be truthful it have a lot of feedback... if you cut the highs you can decrease it, but I think it's a problem of cheap stuff.
    If you don't care this, it's a great amp.
    I'm actually using it as a power amp for my Demeter pre, and it works well: the feedback is almost zero, and the power is more than I need (I load the head with 8Ohm).
  12. i got the 3500, and the SUNN 215 bass cab, sounds really great, loud as hell , well worth the cash
  13. what is ment by "feedback" ??
    I am maybe gonna buy the 3500 with a 410XL box .
  14. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    For 100 bucks I would have to say it is a Great Amp:D :D :D
  15. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    It's noisy!!:p
  16. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Good punk tone. Prolly work GREAT with a stingray.

It's a cool amp, can't go wrong with a 10 band EQ, but I agree the compression is useless, just turn it off immeadiately.

However, if you want warm sound, go with an Ampeg B2R.
  17. ewhm..ampeg.. I do not think I have that much money .. :(
  18. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    to make a long story short: unreliable, and better sounding stuff out there fot the money.