1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke 4-10XL series cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kcaj, Feb 16, 2005.

1. kcaj

kcaj

Jan 9, 2005
    What amp would sound good with this cab I Play classic rock and blues

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Positive Grid, Barefaced Bass
    I have (and am selling - in the UK) the 4.5xl I used it with an Ampeg SVT.. that sounds great.

I have heard lots of people saying that the HArtke 3500 is a reeeeeeally good match for you cab specifically.. and can be picked up reasonably cheaply too now, as it has been superceded by a new range.

Hope this helps

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I used to have a 4.5XL paired with a Trace Elliot head. Didn't work very well, but then I don't dig the trace tone. I would recomend this head over the 410XL because it had a bit tad more presence on the top end with the horn.

Aside from Hartke's own heads you might want to check out the GKs. GK+Hartke used to be one of the most popular combos for rock and metal.

Also you should probably play through any newer Hartke stuff pretty carefully. A couple people I know have told me their quality has slipped markedly in the past couple years.

And whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM THE TRANSPORTERS!!!! They are crap on a crap cracker!

4. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Positive Grid, Barefaced Bass
    I agree with the transporter comment! and the VX range appears to be questionable too I have read on more than one occasion.

I wonder if this would be a reason for the large price reductions over the last few years. I ermember the 4.5xl being nearly £800.. now you can pick them up for half that price.