Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 4-10XL series cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kcaj, Feb 16, 2005.

1. kcaj

kcaj

Jan 9, 2005
    What amp would sound good with this cab I Play classic rock and blues

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I have (and am selling - in the UK) the 4.5xl I used it with an Ampeg SVT.. that sounds great.

I have heard lots of people saying that the HArtke 3500 is a reeeeeeally good match for you cab specifically.. and can be picked up reasonably cheaply too now, as it has been superceded by a new range.

Hope this helps

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I used to have a 4.5XL paired with a Trace Elliot head. Didn't work very well, but then I don't dig the trace tone. I would recomend this head over the 410XL because it had a bit tad more presence on the top end with the horn.

Aside from Hartke's own heads you might want to check out the GKs. GK+Hartke used to be one of the most popular combos for rock and metal.

Also you should probably play through any newer Hartke stuff pretty carefully. A couple people I know have told me their quality has slipped markedly in the past couple years.

And whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM THE TRANSPORTERS!!!! They are crap on a crap cracker!

4. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I agree with the transporter comment! and the VX range appears to be questionable too I have read on more than one occasion.

I wonder if this would be a reason for the large price reductions over the last few years. I ermember the 4.5xl being nearly £800.. now you can pick them up for half that price.