Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 4.5

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by russ_4ft, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Hey,

I own a hartke 4.5 xl series cab (400 watts at 8 ohms) and i'm looking for a head to use with it.
    Any ideas of both what i should get and also where i can buy online.

I would really like a hartke head but what would you reccomend, want to get the most out of the power of the cab too.

- Russ

2. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    My personal preference- Hartke 3500 which has good headroom, but if you have the cabs to do so, get the 5000 or the 7000.
    I would recommend the hartke, but the compression is useless. But still, reasonable price, small size, good power. Not to mention rack mountable.
    Im workin in this:

Furman power conditioner
    Hartke 3500
    American dj Db meter (cool light show, plus you can ''see'' how loud you are)
    4 space rack
    SWR Goliath jr.
    Eden D1x15t
    total: $1289
    And just to think i'm only 14. ha ha:D

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I've used a 2.5XL w/ a G-K 400RBIII-
    (which I still use)
    I bought one of the new Mesa M-Pulse heads (the WalkAbout) for use with a smaller rig for jazz/clubs, etc.
    This head sounded awesome w/ the Hartkes!
    I will bet that the M-Pulse 360 or 600 will drive your
    4x10 XL beautifully!
    Try this combo, I'm totally impressed with the sound these two produce!

But-after re-reading, you can't buy Mesa online-
    Still, this is worth the effort---

4. How do you like your hartke 4.5? I was thinking ordering one.

5. If you're not looking to spend much money, i would recomend a Peavey Nitrobass head or a Crate Head would be decent.

If you want to get a little more expensive, I would definately recomend a Fender Bassman 400 Head, b/c a buddy of mine plays that exact setup, and it sounds soooo good.

Well, that's all the advice I can give you, except go to Ebay and look for a head, b/c ebay is the greatest.

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    larry, i'm curious. how much headroom is there on the 400rb with an 8 ohm load. i've got a 700rb, and an acquaintance is considering purchasing a 400rb-III. i've played them running a 4 ohm load and loved 'em, but can you get enough volume without clipping at 8 ohms? he's running through a single 8 ohm bag end s-15d. any insight would be appreciated. peace

7. if you want good tone with that yummy tube character and hate fussing with tone controls, buy a david eden with power rated same as your cab, set the controls at "noon", and get jiggy...

:cool:

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've been using Hartke heads and cabs for a while(June of this year will be 10 yrs.)the 3500,and 7000 heads,with various Hartke cabs,but mostly the 4.5xls,and the kickback series.they are very comparable with a lot of the higher priced systems out there.I have used them in various types of musical settings,and they have been very reliable.its like any piece of equipment you get out of it,what you put into it.
    JAUQO III-X
    jauqoiii-xreality.com

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    because your cabinet is 8 ohms, make sure you pay close attention to the power ratings on the head. If you only see something that says, 400 watts @ 4ohms, then a good rule of thumb that ive found is to take that figure and cut it in 1/2 to get an approxomate idea of how much power your going to be pushing it with @ 8 ohm.

Now back to the topic.

You said would prefer a Hartke head, so If I were to go with another Hartke head, Id go with either the 5000 or 7000 series. Either those should give you ample if not more than enough power if you run them mono without causing your amp to clip.

10. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    old thread but i was asking a question about this. i have a good deal for a hartke 4.5 cab and a hartke 7000 head. but wouldnt the head have too much power for it being a 700W head and a 400W cab?

11. themanamedgirl

themanamedgirl

Apr 14, 2002
    Ive used a hartke 3500 for a while now, and even though its died on me( I bought it used) i would say its a great choice.

i used it on an 8 ohm cab just like you would be doing, and it suplied plenty of power at that load.

Im fairly sure its enough power for anything they'll throw at you, after all, i used mine to fill the fairly large football stadiums my highschool football team played at.

I was actually complemented by the one of the stadiums sound and video tech after a game. he though it was incredible how much sound i got out of my sytem without going through the PA. (I used a homemade 2-15" cab)

Some people are recommending the 5000 or 7000, but to tell you the truth, i dont think your cab can even handle the power they'll throw at you. If you plan on getting another cab or 2 then its worth considering.

Peace
    Nick

12. disp

disp

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver/Boulder
    The 7000 isn't bridged in mono mode unlike many other amps out there, which means your only pulling the 240W @ the 8 ohm resistence of the 4.5xl. If you want to see the rest of the wattage with either the 5000 or 7000 models than you need two cabs. If you got two cabs then you can start having fun with the crossover... *druling on keyboard*

If you don't want another cab (and your still considering a Hartke head) than you should go with the 3500 or 4000. These will give ya the same bang as the 7000. But if you're ever going to want to upgrade...