Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 4.5XL Bass Cabinet compared to SWR Workingman's 4x10T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I_am_Rage, May 19, 2002.

1. Hartke 4.5XL Bass Cabinet w/ Hartke 4000 Bass Amp Head

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. SWR Workingman's 4x10T w/ SWR Workingman's 4004

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Other (please specify)

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. I am looking to update my Fender Bassman 100 for a cabinet since my band is getting more serious and i need something that will carry. What is better...SWR Workingman's 4x10T w/ SWR Workingman's 4004 or Hartke 4.5XL Bass Cabinet w/ Hartke 4000 Bass Amp Head? What has better sound, quality, louder, more reliable, stronger, best features, and other information you can spare. I know these are around the same price range so if you know any other cab/head combo around the same price that is better, please let me know. Any information would be helpful since i seriously need to buy a cab w/head in the next month or so.

I play in a rock/metal band and play a Fender MIM if you need to know this for a decision. Thanks in advance.

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Well, here's my unqualified opinion (I say that because I know about both companies and both cabinents spec-wise, but haven't played through either). Personally, I'd go with the Hartke. Why? Simply because it goes deeper in the low end and because it's Hartke's top line (well, was - I guess their Professional series is the top now) as compared to being SWR's cheaper line. Likewise for the amp - I also have to admit that the 4004 has some cool little goodies on it, though the Hartke aslo has some nifty things as well. Perhaps a mix and match?

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi Rage,
    I voted for hartke, why??, because I play Hartke jajaja. I have a HA4000 head with a 410TP cab, which I think is equal to the SWR 4x10T. The 4.5XL is Hartke´s cream of the crop 4x10 cab ( and expensive of course), and sounds way better that both SWR 410T and Hartke 410TP.
    The head??? I think the HA4000 is a "do it all" amp with enough power (400 Watts @ 4 ohms, 290 watts @ 8 ohms) for small to medium gigs, you can find almost every kind of sound on it, except vintage-like sounds, because in my opinion this is a "modern sounding devil". But you´ll not be wrong with it anyway.

Good luck in your hunting, hope it was helpfull.
    :D :D

4. I might possibly be able to live with the Hartke head, but the speakers? No way. I've heard waaay too many horror stories about Hartke speakers and some of them were from a former Hartke dealer who quit Hartke because of too many returns, to many warranties and too many headaches.

5. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Man, the swr w/m's stuff that I have played hasn't been very good at all.. I do want to try the new 8x10 wm cab though. My experiences with hartke have been nothing but great, and i look forward to buying more of thier gear. The heads are more versatile than the swr wm.. I have a Ha3500 and it is great...

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    everyone has horror stories about every company!!!!!!!!
    and hartke is great!!!!!!!!!!
    never had a problem with anything from them!!
    i think the stories are from people not knowing what to do, or they are closed minded and where really looking for something else in the back of there head!!!
    really good quality!!
    get two cabs if possible
    so you can run 4 ohms and get the 3500 head
    the 3500 head has a tube and ss preamp
    my opion much better.
    i have heard bad stuff about spectors, ibanezes, hartke, you name it someone hasn't liked it or had a problem with it!

steve

7. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I've had a 410XL that I abused for years.I played at very high volumes, used bass feed-back, you know, all the rock 'n roll stuff.... That thing was bulletproof! I still have it, and although it's a little fuzzy, when I put enough power into it it still sounds great. Get the Hartke.

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    One of the clubs I egularly play at has a Hartke 410XL as the house cab. This thing has been abused and tortured and it still performs well. My only gripe is that it is a bit quiet for my tastes.

Between the SWR gear you mentioned and the Hartke, I would also go Hartke.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Ditto.

10. Thanks for the info. Seems like the Hartke is the best choice.

11. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I think you´ve got it:D