Hartke 4.5XL -- Casters or Hand truck??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by atldeadhead, Jan 14, 2003.

1. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    This is a similar model to the 410 but with an additional tweeter.

Unfortunately this is a very HEAVY cab that didn't come with any casters. I've been toying with the idea of installing some removable casters. This would probably involve some modifications to the cabinet to mount the casters.

I'm unsure about whether this is a good option. I could just get a hand truck to simplifiy moving this sucka.

Whadda ya'll think?
  2. I have the same cabinet and I use a handtruck. I think the handtruck is a little easier to maneuver and get over bumps. I'm not sure, but cutting holes in the cab to install casters might alter the sound. I'm not sure how much the casters cost but you can get a decent handtruck in Home Depot for around $35-40 and there's no installation.
    Good luck!
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to have the same cab, and put Pop out casters (Ernie Ball's) on it, simply by drilling into the bottom. Gigged with it for several years, never a problem. I don't think you have to reinforce it at all.
  4. One advantage of a hand truck -

It will help you move other stuff (like the PA), where casters only help when moving your bass cabinet.

Then again, it's one more piece of equipment that you have to lug with you.

I'd do the truck method, anyway.