Hartke 4.5xl farting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krstko, May 17, 2012.

1. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I have Harke HA5500 into 4.5xl cab. Yesterday at a rehearsal it started farting. I've been using it at about 8 o'clok and I've neve cranked it past 12 o'clock. Also I can't spot any physical damage on speakers. Any ides what could be the problem (bass, amp, cab, high freq speaker...)?
    please help, I have a gig tomorow :/

2. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    use a different cab for gig. figure out 4.5xl issue later

3. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I'll try to get another, but there is low chance for gettin it.
    Can I further damage the cab or amp if a speaker is blown?

4. Rental? Amps and cabs aren't too expensive to rent for a month, I can't see them being too bad for just a night. If you're farting out the cabs at volumes you'll need for the gig, I wouldn't push the cab anymore, you may risk damaging other drivers.

5. harmendebresser

harmendebresser

Mar 11, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Höfner, Pyramid Strings, Dr. No FX & Asterope cables
    Yes, you can actually damage the amp by doing so...
    Take a 9 volt battery, and have the tip-ends touch the speakercable's jack.
    As you do this, there'll be a pop that'll show you either all speakers move in the same direction OR one (or more) speaker(s) not move at all, or in the opposite direction wich points out where the problem is.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    ROTSS: Rule Out The Simple Stuff

Using an active or passive bass? Do you have access to another amp or enclosure to A/B the components? Other than that, the aforementioned suggestions will get you on the right track.

Riis

7. I have two of these cabs, on cab has one speaker that distorts at high volume, I've checked the dust caps, they all seem to be in place, I can only imagine that that one is blown. Only option is to replace the speaker I think but seeing as they are practice cabs, in the bandroom, that I got second hand, the expense probably isn't worth it considering I don't hear it while playing with the band.

You probably have the same problem... unless you open the cab up and check the wiring there is no way of knowing unfortunately.

8. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Today I tried it again, works fine .. wierd ..

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021