Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 4.5XL vs 410TP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    from what I can tell, the 4.5 has the tweeter and can take 100 watts more power. it also weighs 40 pounds more and is a few hundred dollars more. is it worth the cost to get the 4.5 instead? how much louder will 100 watts be? if i get the TP then i will get the 3500 amp to go with it, giving me 240 watts. for the 4.5 i will be getting the 5000 amp. i will be taking this to school and be playing gigs with it, so weight is an issue, but better/louder sound is more important. so is it worth the extra cost for the 4.5?

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    AVOID THE TP LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!! Its a certifiable POS.

Mike

3. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    :eek:

righty-o

4. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    as mentioned in one of your other threads, i have the 3500 and the 4.5xl. it is a great combo. but you were saying that you want the hartke 5000 for the 4.5xl?!?

the 3500 is 240w at 8 ohms or 350w at 4 ohms. the 5000 is 170w at 8 ohms or 250w at 4 ohms. even though it has a higher number, the 3500 has more output. methinks you should do more research before you buy...

5. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    actually the 5000 has dual amps, each one gives 170 at 8 ohms. 170x2 = 340. The 4.5XL is rated at 400 watts RMS so this works out nicely. IMHO the 3500 is not powerful enough to drive the 4.5XL to its fullest.

6. You do realize that you can't run both sides of the 5000 into one cabinet, don't you? The 5000 is meant to be used with two or more cabinets (stereo or bi-amp operation). If you are only using the one cabinet, you will only be getting 170 watts into the one cabinet, with the other channel unused. The 3500 into the 4.5 should power your cabinet just fine. A lot of people use the 3500 to run two of those cabinets.

I used to own a 5000, so I do know what I'm talking about.

7. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    :eek: oh crap!

*runs back to music store*

well what amp should i buy? i would like to get a hartke because i like the features. however i would like something more powerful then the 3500 since i will be playing at some loud gigs.

8. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    the 3500 is fine for loud gigs, i play in a loud band (guitarist-full stack, and a loud ass drummer) and am running mine @8 ohms and only getting 240, and dont turn my volume up past 2. and it goes to 10. and plus, if your playing clubs, there is bound to be a pa.

9. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Why not just get the 3500 (Wouldn't be my first choice but it's servicable) and get a 4 ohm cabinet to get all 350 watts?

Edit: changed my mind bout somethin :)

10. That 3500 will get plenty loud. You may also want to try a GK 800RB, 700RB or 1001RB.

11. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i personally went with the hartke setup, because i like the sound i get from them. there are many brands capable of the performance that you're looking for. if you're just looking at hartke, the 3500 through the 4.5xl is a great setup, and definitely enough. the 410tp would also work, but i second the recommendation to avoid the tp.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Thee cabs are different beast.

The 4.5XL of course has the tweeter, but it also is tuned to go deeper and is built with heavier, more rigid wood and has heavy duty handles. It will take more punishment than the TP box.

The 410TP uses thinner wood and some folks have noticed it tends to rattle or vibrate more as a result. The result is a more blurry low end, common with lightweight cabs.

To do more of an apples-to-apples comparison, look at the 410XL which is more like the TP but XL series construction (in fact this was the ORIGINAL Hartke cab). A bit cheaper and lighter than the 4.5XL.

Are you shopping from catalogs? I see a lot of catalogs don;t bother to list the 410XL any more, but Hartke still makes it. See if you can find a local Hartke dealer to try all three cabs and see what you think.

13. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    actually when i was trying out the different cabs in the store they only had a hartke 410XL, they didn't have a 4.5XL in stock. i didn't like it's sound...it didn't have much low end impact at all and it distorted at lower volumes compared to a less-priced warm sounding peavey.

oh and btw, you CAN use both amps on the 5000 amp to one cab as long as the resistances match. since i will probably be getting the 4x12 peavey which is 4 ohms tho, i can probably do fine with the 3500, or perhaps the firebass 700.

14. You can if you want to fry your amp. Seriously, I owned one for three years. You cannot do this without causing major damage to your amplifier. The only exception is if the cabinet is internally biampable or stereo, such as the SWR Megoliath or the big Peavey cabs with the 18 and two 10's.

Say you have a normal cabinet, and it has two jacks on the back. If you plug channel A into one jack, and channel B into the other, power will flow from one channel to the other, frying one of your power amplifiers. Believe me, I know from experience.

Who told you that you can do that anyway?