1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke 4.5XL with SVT-CL?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Apr 1, 2013.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Anyone running this setup?

I posted last week about adding a 410 to my existing Ampeg CL w/ SVT 410-HEN setup. There's a used Hartke 4.5XL at GC in my area for $249

I am thinking about jumping on it since it fits my budget nicely, but from what I have read here they're used more for a modern rock or punk sound (scooped).

I am definitely wanting more of an old school classic rock tone.

Am I over analyzing this? Anyone run a similar combination of head / cabs?

2. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    I had no luck using a Hartke cabinet 4X 10 with a SVT head. I used to blow the aluminum speakers all the time. I liked the SVT with the 8X10 cabinet, but never could get it to work as well with any other speakers. A buddy of mine uses a SVT head with an Avatar 2x12 cabinet and he likes it. I heard it at low volume at his house and it sounded pretty good. He hasn't gigged with it yet. It's hard to say how it would hold up under fire.

3. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Does it matter that its CL + 410-HEN + Hartke 410? I won't be running just the CL into the Hartke.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes it does, and it's nothing against Hartke, either. It's just that there's always a 50/50 chance that combining unlike cabs can sound good...or bad. Second 410he would be the ticket.