Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 4.5XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Oct 6, 2005.

1. I've done some searching already on these cabs and have come up with some fairly contrasting views...

Can I get some opinions on these cabs from you guys as to how these cabs rate?

I have tried them out at the store and was fairly satisfied, but I couldn't really do any comparisons unfortunately...

I have however read some horror stories regarding customer service from harke and about their cab construction?

Your help would be appreciated:

2. When I tried them with my WT-400 with the EQ flat, they were fart machines when turned up a bit, it seems like they just couldn't hack it. They did have a nice tone though.

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    My 2.5xl takes most of what I can throw at it for smaller gigs - never need to drive it that hard. At medium volumes it's punchy and very clear. When I play bigger gigs I bi-amp and my 115xl takes the bottom end below about 150Hz.

4. I am considering puting 2 of these on top of each other... any comments?

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ugh, hartke cabs. 4.5xl. ugh yeah. um. i owned one. i HATED IT in fact, i hated all the hartke gear i had. the 115. my 2000 and 3500 heads. my 4.5xl. they all sucked.

when i tried to slel my near mint 4.5xl, i couldnt give the damn thing away. i was only asking 300 for it. in near mint condition. i had to end up selling it to gc(yeah i know) because i needed money.

at low volumes, in certain settings, it will sound great. when i had to crank it, it was crap fest.

6. I was running my 4.5XL in a stack with a bag end 18 for loud gigs. I actually liked it a lot. Now I use it for practice amp, it does tend to fart a bit, but I'm using a 5 string too, so low B can be a tough thing.

I did like the tone quite a bit. Its way better than their straight 410.

I liked the tone better than the SWR or Eden 4x10, so I went with it, never got to the point of comparing volume potential between them, so I can't say the 4.5xl farts out earlier than other 4x10 cabs, I didn't have others on gigs to try it out at full volume.

My vL-210 EA does beat the 4.5xl, but I assume that's because the EA cabs are botique and Hartke is not, not a fair comparison.

Randy

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    "they all sucked"... "crap fest" Any further details at all?

8. Thats surprising because I've heard the complete opposite from quite a few people as well...

seems to be a similar situation to the behringer stuff (some say its cool, and others completely trash it!)?

9. So, some people said "great", others said "sucked".

2 possibilities, not mutually exclusive:

1. There were actual differences in the equipment, settings, venues, or playing styles of the people involved when they tried the gear. (quite likely, when you think about it.)

2. People have different opinions about what sucks and what does not. Some folks like rap, others, country, others metal, others gospel. What you think is great, some other guy thinks sucks.

So, I'd say, you gotta try it yourself and see what you think. Only you will know if you like the equipment.

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've heard they're not "making them like they used to" and the big price drop on Hartke cabs might seem to confirm this.

All I know is I bought my first 410XL in 1989 and a second in 1990 and both (together and separately) sounded great, held up great, and never let me down being used 4 to 7 nights a week for about 13 years. I only recently sold them to go smaller/lighter (back/getting older...y'know). My 7000 head served me faithfully for nearly as long until I sold it about 3 years ago and got a 3500 (older model), which has been great ever since.

Maybe the newer stuff just isn't as good. :meh:

11. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    My experience is similar to Phat Basstard's. I got my 4.5xl cab and 7000 head about 10 years ago. All the "big" name players seemed to be using them then.

I like the tone I get and I've had no repair issues (knock on wood). The gig I have now we just DI into the board & use in-ears or monitors so we carry no amps with us. But Ol' Hartke is still doing low volume duty at the rehearsal room.

12. back in the day (i'm so old :crying: ) around 1987 I had a pair of GUILD/HARTKE 410's w/a pre/power rig. Sounded good & pretty loud. Also had a 115 Hartke Systems cab & blew the speaker 2 times. just stuck w/the 410's then.

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    um. for what i was useing my hartke stuff for, it could never come close to any of my old ampeg stuff.