1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke 4.5XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cutty, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Thinking of getting one of these 410 cabs,i know they are heavy,but apart from that,if you own/have owned one please tell me you opinions,thanks guys.

2. I have been using them for years. I have always loved the sound I get using a GK head and these cabs. I play predominately blues and my sound is able to cut thru mixes very well. I have had many other bassists come into clubs where I have played and compliment me on the tone and crispness that this combination produces.

3. I use 2 of them with multiple heads and basses

They are quite open sounding, meaning deep lows and crisp highs, so more modern sounding IMO.

They have a specific high end character to them that I attribute to the aluminium cones and the 5" tweeter. Overall I find them to be quite articulate and provide good deep lows

They don't sound good when they start to break up, or at least worse than paper coned speakers IMO

Alik likes this.
  4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Our church has one, and I have its predecessor (a mid-90s vintage XL-410, without the tweeter).

Personally I much prefer my 410 to the 4.5 but YMMV.

5. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I've got mine for about a year now. It's heavy, but it is build like a tank. Tone is kind of modern, mid scooped. Lows are really good and tight, and 5' speaker makes good highs. Cuts through the mix very well. But I don't like it because it lacks mid range punch.

I would say, good for slap or metal, not good for old school rock :)

Alik likes this.
  6. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I had the 410xl for years. I got rid of it because it was getting too heavy to haul away. I have been thru a GK Neo 410, a pair of GK Neo 112's and an Avatar TB153. IMO that Hartke cab was the best sounding one. A well built cab. For the price you can't beat it. If I was younger, that would be my cab.

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I hear ya. I haven't gigged my 410XL for over three years cause my current gig doesn't require that much rig... but it's still in my garage and I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. Just in case... :p

8. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    Had 2 of them. Loved the sound.

9. yeah moving them is a pain, I have 2 of them stacked at the bandroom and they pretty much stay there. The rig sounds great although I think I may soon need to replace one of the speakers from pushing it too hard at a gig once

10. joshpickeral

joshpickeral

Nov 11, 2015
    Ive used a Hartke 4.5XL, paired with a Hartke Transporter, for many many years. I just recently replaced the transporter cab, in my rig, with a Mesa Powerhouse 4x10. Its too new to comment on the difference.

I started replacing the speakers in my Transporter cab (8 ohm) with the Hartke Hydrive speakers.. I like that four Hydrives can handle 1000 watts, hoping for a "best of both worlds" result from the part paper part aluminum Hydrive speaker. I can only afford to buy one speaker per month so we'll see what the outcome is..

My question, for the gearheads here, is: Should i consider putting the Hydrive replacement speakers into the 4.5XL, rather than my transporter (which is now a spare cab)? Has anyone tried these speakers yet?

11. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I toured with a 4.5 and hartke 3500
    Sounded great for rock pop dance funk and distortion pedal

12. joshpickeral

joshpickeral

Nov 11, 2015
    anyone know how the .5 works? is it ok to replace the speakers like one normally would?

13. dagovna659

dagovna659

Mar 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I own 2-4.5xl's since 1998 and have never had a problem with them, I've used them with the following heads (hartke 3500,gk 1001rbll). Always loved the low/end and crisp clean highs these cabs project. I'll never sell them as they've paid for themselves so many times. I've just gotten older and can no longer pick them up but I still connect them and play through them at home and they still sound amazing. A perfectly great cab for a young man or if you can carry them. I always preferred the 4.5XL's against the SWR Goliath(sold long ago) that I had. But on a side note the 4.5xl's worked better with the GK1001RBll. Nothing but good things to say about Hartke 4.5xl's,but whatever you choose enjoy and good luck.

Alik and murphy like this.