Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 4000...initial impressions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundogue, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I received my Hartke HA4000 bass amp on Friday and these are my initial impressions…

It is heavy. About 30 lbs heavy. It has the appearance of a straight power amp (not a head), but with more controls. Very solid and well built.

A lot of control over tone. Too much at first. My first impression was that I did not like the sound at all. But it does require some work setting up your sound. After playing around with all of the controls, I finally found my sound. Oh man, did I ever.

The thing that struck me after I got my sound dialed in was that the 4000 solid state amp sounds like a tube amp. That distinctively warm, powerful, fat low end. It really pumps out the low E and B string tightly.

I haven't played through it with my band yet, so I can't give it a total thumbs up just yet. But it shakes my house at pretty low volume settings and still maintains a very clean sound when turned up beyond tolerable…with loads of headroom to spare. I can get a clean or dirty tone with it. I prefer scooped mids with a hi-fi tone, but one can adjust the mids to be anything you want them to be. The EQ allows for very fine tuning of the mids…with Low Mids and High Mids that can be adjusted for specific frequencies or wide bands of frequencies.

A lot of tone and power, with a tube like sound in a $500 solid state amp. I’ll let you know more as I play more with it. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I’d be more than happy to share what I know about it.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I played (practiced) with my band and the Hartke 4000 really delivers very clean volume.

I wasn't pushing my amp much at all and it gives a very nice, fat warm sound (like a tube amp sounds). Even with the volume at three, I was being asked to turn down. Very nice punch. The best low end I've heard in years. Very tight on the E and low B string without being boomy at all. Even with amps/cabs I've played through in the past that handled the low B well, it never sounded this tight...great definition for low notes.

It is much better sounding than the Nemesis 410 combo that I used to play through at practice. I play the Hartke 4000 through a Peavey 410 TXF cab.

$500 new. Great deal...great head. Since we go through a PA, I won't need it to go much louder when playing out, though there is a ton of headroom yet. I can go much, much louder and it still plays very clean and tight.

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

sundogue ...
    congrats !! hope the Hartke gives you as much enjoyment and low end pleasure as mine has given me over the years ...
    :bassist:
    now for the bad news , this weekend i took my HA4000 out of the
    rack system { to change location of Furman power conditioner RP-8L }
    i re-installed the head , and no sound ... i ended up pulling the Hartke and mounting my Carvin R-600 head into the rack to get me through this weekends gigs . i can't imagine what i did to the HA4000 , that would cause this problem ...{ i checked to make sure i had plugged in correctly } it's been very reliable for the past three or four years . i guess i'll have to take it in to the shop , which is a drag , 'cause the local tech hates Hartke products ...
    :(
    don't let this bum you out to the HA4000 ... still a very good amp
    i'll try to keep you posted { pm } :cool:

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Did it work on it's own after you pulled it out? I know stupid question...but working with computers all the time, "Is it plugged in?", is still a valid question sometimes. :D

If it worked before you pulled it out and it won't work on it's own (nothing else but the bass and cab plugged in)...then maybe some connection got bent while undoing it.

I'd be interested in hearing what happened to it. I've heard nothing but good things about the 4000's reliability (unlike the problems I've heard associated with the 3500).

The sound is beautifully clean and full. It does sound like a tube amp to me...but I love a really warm, yet clean sound that one gets from tube amps, so the fact that it's solid state and sounds this way is a real bonus.

Keep me posted!

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I own the Hartke 3000 and I'm sure yours, as mine does, has a ground (float/frame) switch on the rear panel. It may be switched in the frame position and when you switched it on maybe it wasn't grounded since it's not in your rack anymore? Switch it to 'frame' position. Check your fuse too. See what happens....

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

dwbass - yeah , you were right on about the ground switch , but i guess i must've been in a big hurry , because
    i also failed to notice the speaker cable looked kinda funny ... i opened the 1/4" jack and saw the solder point was torn loose ...oh well , easy fix and the head sounds as good as new .
    sundogue , sorry about the bogus news of sudden failure, again congrats on the purchase . remember , even old hands like myself can make the simple mistake of being in too big of a hurry to notice the little things ... :cool: ;)

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I thought it might be something simple. Especially since it worked and then all you do is pull it out and it doesn't.

I certainly didn't think I bought an amp that might be prone to failure...I've read a ton of info about it and the Bass Player review gave it high marks for being solidly built.

I can't wait to play out live with it. That will be the true test for me...but I've had it quite loud at practice and there was still alot of headroom.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Whew, glad I could help! On another note, I was planning to step up to the 4000 but decided to double my wattage as opposed to just moving up 100w. I'm eyeballing the SWR WM8004 that pushes 750w @ 4ohms!! This is more along the lines of what I need! At $799.99 the price ain't bad at all. I just started my 'new amp' fund and have $250 in the pot right now. I guess by late spring/early summer I'll have her!

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    DWBass...

My friend has a 3000 also and I played through that, before I decided on the 4000. The 3000 is very limited tonally compared to the 4000. Like night and day.

However, you are right...an increase of 100 watts will not do much for a volume increase. However, I play through a 410 cab and the 4000 is very loud (in fact I can't tolerate it at much more than about 5 on the volume control).

I don't know what you use for cabs...but speaker mass and ohmage makes a difference in volume as well. I use a 4 ohm cab so its putting out 400 watts...and an 8 ohm cab would only put out 200. With an 8 ohm cab the Hartke 3000 is only putting out 150 watts.

What do you use for cabs?

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh, my cab'age is fine. I use Avatar cabs. A 1x15(600w) and a 2x10(700w). Each are 8ohms so my load is 4ohms. I'm getting the full 300w. I have pretty good volume. I just need a lot more headroom. I deal with 2 guitarists who can't control their volume and a drummer who wails on his snare so it's time for me to come back ballbuster style on them! Seriously though, my cabs are way underpowered and I need some more boom and punch!

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I haven't really cared too much for the SWR sound (a local dealer here has alot to choose from).

However, that amp should give you alot of power for those cabs.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, I did some research and decided to go for this amp! I should have quite a lot of headroom with this amp. 1000 bridged watts into 4ohms!! Whoo Hoo! My cabs are gonna be very happy! Now I just have to save up for it. But the good thing is it's only $649.99 direct from Carvin!

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I owned an R600 (the head in the RC210 combo).

Same amp as the R1000 but it was only 600 watts bridged mono. It was a really beautiful sounding amp! There is alot of control over the sound so be patient setting it up. It can be kind of frustrating at first, but you will love it once you get your sound dialed in!

I almost got another R600, but the HA4000 was just too interesting to me at a price I could go for. Let me know what you think of it when you get it "fine tuned". :D