Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 4000 or Fender Bassman 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackson0321, Apr 4, 2001.

1. jackson0321

jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    hello
    im looking for a new amp for around 500 bucks any advise for me, i was thinking about those two amps. thanks
    nick

2. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    i have the hartke 4000 head with my rig. plenty of versitility and all the power that i'll ever need. it pushes my 2 hartke cabs just fine. i got it used almost a year ago, and i haven't had a problem out of it yet (knock on wood)!! it has a d-bass knob on it to really bring out the lows on a 5 string (great for dub or reggae), plus i can get a ton of different tones out of it. my suggestion is to just play with both and see which you like better.

3. I have a Fender Bassman 60, but have played through all the new Fender amps, and a few Hartke
    kickbacks. Straight out, I think the Fenders have more of a warm, traditional sound, while the Hartkes are more cutting edge and funky. You can make the Hartkes sound warm, but, I'd say Fender if you like 60s type retro tones; Hartke for a more modern sound.

As Blong1 said, try them both side by side if you can. When I bought my amp it took me over an hour to decide. They're both very good.

I also assume you mean just a head, right? A Bassman 400 combo is over $900.00. I think the head alone is close to $600.00. I'm not sure of the Hartke's price, but it's close.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

4. hartke. their heads are great. although i only own the B90 its still great. if it DOES mess up, their customer service is great. I emailed them with a question and got a reply the next day and they werent real @$$es about it either. cant really say the same for their cone driver thingies though.

5. Jrthebassguy, that's an excellent amp you have, I
    know, because I almost bought one. I especially like the midrange control on that amp, it changes the sound from very warm to nice and hard. As I said, I just went with the Fender because of the 60s tone.

Mike J.