Hartke 4000 or Fender Bassman 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackson0321, Apr 4, 2001.

1. jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    im looking for a new amp for around 500 bucks any advise for me, i was thinking about those two amps. thanks
  2. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    i have the hartke 4000 head with my rig. plenty of versitility and all the power that i'll ever need. it pushes my 2 hartke cabs just fine. i got it used almost a year ago, and i haven't had a problem out of it yet (knock on wood)!! it has a d-bass knob on it to really bring out the lows on a 5 string (great for dub or reggae), plus i can get a ton of different tones out of it. my suggestion is to just play with both and see which you like better.
  3. I have a Fender Bassman 60, but have played through all the new Fender amps, and a few Hartke
    kickbacks. Straight out, I think the Fenders have more of a warm, traditional sound, while the Hartkes are more cutting edge and funky. You can make the Hartkes sound warm, but, I'd say Fender if you like 60s type retro tones; Hartke for a more modern sound.

As Blong1 said, try them both side by side if you can. When I bought my amp it took me over an hour to decide. They're both very good.

I also assume you mean just a head, right? A Bassman 400 combo is over $900.00. I think the head alone is close to $600.00. I'm not sure of the Hartke's price, but it's close.

Good luck,
    Mike J.
  4. hartke. their heads are great. although i only own the B90 its still great. if it DOES mess up, their customer service is great. I emailed them with a question and got a reply the next day and they werent real @$$es about it either. cant really say the same for their cone driver thingies though.
  5. Jrthebassguy, that's an excellent amp you have, I
    know, because I almost bought one. I especially like the midrange control on that amp, it changes the sound from very warm to nice and hard. As I said, I just went with the Fender because of the 60s tone.

Mike J.