Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 4000 settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumzini, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'm kinda new at thie bass thing...just started almost a year ago. I have the above metioned head. I seem to be happy with it but I sometimes get overwhelmed at how much control it has. Does anyone have this head that may have some sweet tone settings they may care to give up or show in a pic??? I'm into all music...but what seems to be in my CD player lately is Mudvayne, TOOL, Perfect Circle, Primus, Audioslave, SYL...a lot of heavy stuff I guess.

Don Rumsey

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I have the same head and while I could fill you in on how I set mine up, it is just too dependent on your bass and speaker cab(s) to be of much use to you.

However, one thing I think you should take note of. Be very careful not to boost the D-BASS too much. It is meant for the low frequencies of a low B string and only requires slight adjustments. Too much and you could blow your speakers.

Also, you really need to play around with the parametric mids alot to find the sweet spot for each (Lo and Hi mids). What I did was dial in a particular frequency and then boost and/or cut it all the way to really see what effect that particular frequency does to your sound. Once you find the "offending" frequency, it's just a matter of personal preference as to how much you want to cut it, or boost others.

Also, Try to start with everything flat and "cut" rather than boost frequencies. If, when it's flat, you find you need more low frequencies, try cutting the mids a little first rather than boosting the lows. It's more a matter of cutting the frequency that is "covering" what frequency you want to hear rather than boosting what you can't hear.

3. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I never thought of cutting what you dont to hear what you want. Right now I have all the dials pointing in the 12 o'clock position...is that what you call flat??? To add to the mix I have an Ibanez BTB 510 with the active EQ...treble, bass, pickup balancer, mid cut and a low frequency control...one might think I am a control freak! It just seems that when I find a tone I like...I can't ever hear it over my brother in laws Marshall & Tech stack! So I turn the volume up but then the sound isn't as clean...I'm looking for a lil grind but not like this. I have an Avatar 212 with an Avatar 410 on the way. I would seem I have the right equipment and ample enough power at 400 watts@ 4 ohms right...seems like I would be able to dial in anything I want at a loud enough volume right. I feel like such a beginner!!! HA HA

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, if you only have one 8 ohm cab...you are only putting out 290 watts, not the full 400 watts. An additional 8 ohm cab will get it up to 400.

If you already have a 4 ohm cab, DO NOT add another as 4 ohms is the lowest that amp will go. Adding another 4 ohm cab will drop it down below 4 ohms.

Only the Low, Lo-Mid, Hi-Mid and Hi at 12 o'clock is setting it to flat. The D-Bass is off when turned all the way to the left. At 12 o'clock you are really pushing the very low frequencies too much. You can boost or cut with all of the others but the D-Bass is only a boost. DO NOT set it too high (nor would you need to). If you have that at 12 o'clock that would explain why you don't get a clean sound a higher volumes...the deep low end is muddying it up too much.

Also, boosting mids will help "cut" through the mix more than simply turning up the volume. Often what sounds good alone may not mix well with other instruments. Mids when used properly can help you achieve that boost you need to cut through the loud guitar.

Plus, you have an active bass, so you should be plugging it into Input 2 so your amp does not clip.

Keep in mind that if you only have a single 8 ohm cab, 290 watts is all you'll get unless you add another 8 ohm cab. That will make a huge difference in volume, not only because of the increase in watts, but an increase in speaker mass equals more volume.

If you can't add another cab, try putting your cab up on something or tilt it back. I added a hinged board under my 410 cab and the whole thing tilts back like a 410 combo! I added two brackets to the top of the cab that my amphead sits in so it stay on while tilted back. We don't have ears on our knees so if it sits too low, you may have a harder time hearing it.

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ha Ha...ears on knees!

My cab is 8 ohm...i have the new 410 cab on the way which is 8 ohm as well. 400 watts here we come. Wow I'vew got it all screwed up. I'm plugged into Input 1...I did that cuz the Bartolinis are passive...I knew that EQ was active...just wasn't putting it together, ( that would also explain why clip light comes on)...duh. Also the D-bass is indeed at 12 oclock...I'll remedy that tonight at practice. It seems that the mid bass will really come through once I get the 410 cab on top of the 212 eh? I also have the volume up to 5, halfway I believe...the 12 oclock position. I've read other posters saying that people wanted them to turn down when they are at 3!? Am I just totally messed up...3 just dosn't seem loud enough for me.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Just wait until you add the other cab and you turn down the D-Bass!!!

You will be loud!!! 400 watts into 2-12's and 4-10's? you will be plenty loud. You'll find you will be turning your amp down, not up.

I can't even get to three on the amp volume with my bass volume cranked up without it getting disturbingly loud. And that is just through a 4 ohm, 410 cab, alone.

Also, remember that as you cut frequencies, that also affects volume. You are not just cutting the frequency, but how loud that frequency is. If you keep playing with the amp by cutting frequencies all across the board, your volume will go down without ever touching the volume knob. That's why I suggested starting flat and then just "tweaking" it.

You will love the tone and volume once you add that second cab. You'll notice a huge difference. Also, once you add the new cab, you will need to re-EQ it, because the different speakers will handle the frequencies and tone differently than you have it now.

Enjoy!!! :D

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I can't wait...the cab comes in on Friday...I'll post after the weekend and let ya know. Thanks for the info!

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You're welcome...

Have fun with it!