Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 4000 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AllodoX, Mar 28, 2002.

1. i was wondering..

is the Hartke 4000 good ? is it worth to trade-in my SWR workingman's 4004 to get a Hartke 4000 ?

and.. does anyone have a picture of a rack-mounted hartke 4000 by any chance ??

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    IMO the hartke is not worth trading anything swr for. I had the 7000 for about 2-3 years, I never realized how much I hated the sound of that thing untill I got rid of it. I would steer clear of it if your playin swr stuff. As always this is just an opinion but I realized after it was gone I was happy, the style of music you play could certainly make a difference though.

3. incubus, muse, nickelback, manic street preachers.. that sort of stuff..

Will be playing with a Warwick streamer LX-5 and Hughes&kettner 1x15 + 4x10 cabs..

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    The Hartke 4000 is a completely different design than the 2000/3500/7000 series - it also sounds different (I had a 2000 for years and tested the 4000).
    I actually liked it much better than the SWR WM 4004 which was sitting right beside it in the same shop. But as they also had a used H&K BassBase400 I decided to take the latter...

Matthias

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Yeah, it is a completely different design, and Bass Player uses it as part of one of their reference rigs.

6. it even has a " bassplayer best buy " award... 'nuff said i think ;)

but i'd like to hear user experiences.. specially the lows and fx-loops..

7. I would trade in the Workingman's for it, I tried out the 2004 and the 4004 and my 3500 head is much better, my cousin owns the 4000, and I enjoy playing my 3500 better, it's got the 10 band graphic EQ, the 4000 with a parametric....Do it, trade it in!!!The FX loops are really handy, especially when you use multiple effects...The lows
    get WAY down, a really good thump even with alot of your high signal basses.A lot of people say that the Hartkes won't handle the high signals, I beg to differ....They Rock!!

EDIT:Typos

EDIT2:FX and Lows

8. azbass

azbass

Mar 23, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Are you referring to the 4000 or your 3500 that has the low down lows and really good thump? Those characteristics are what I'm looking for....

9. azbass

azbass

Mar 23, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I like the first three.. :) What do you mean by underpowered? It's rated as 220W @ 8 ohms - are you saying it's really less than 220?

As for unreliable -- I take it you have experiences where Hartke amps have failed too often. ?

10. I'm talking about the 4000 with the low down lows, I can get alot of the same lows, but becuase of the lack of the extra 50 watts, I don't get quite enough thump, pair that 4000 with the aluminum coned XL's ot TP's and you've got a really good thump, I'm saving to snatch one of those 410TP's or XL's, but I may settle for a 2x10 and then a 15, but it's depending on how long I can wait.....{Rambling} The parametric EQ is a con compared to the Graphic EQ, I've not got to play with it too much, but the cousin that owns it let me play around with it, he had an Ibanez, and it was one of the thumpiest systems I've been around, I've always loved the Hartke sound.....But, I seriously would throw a little extra $$$ into it to step up to the 5000 or maybe 7000, it'a more power, therefore more headroom and you can get better power out of it, with the EQ.....Sounds alright either way
    They are tough as nails, I've seen 'em run at 2.6 Ohms nights on end, and it's still going, We've all(in our musical circle) have been warning him about it, but he still wires it to his 410 and a 15, The thump out of the Hartkes is great no matter what you put it with...Underpowered, that's a matter of opinion, and what musical situation your in, if you're against 2 slammin 100W guitar stacks and a drummer who hammers the damn things like he's tryin to smash lead, then yeah they're underpowered, but alot of things are in that situation.....
    Peace

EDIT:More info....