Hartke 410 vs Peavey 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fendr1320, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Fendr1320

Fendr1320

Jun 14, 2007
    Chicago-ish
    I have a setup right now that's cheap, pretty lightweight and fits into the back of my Hyundai easily (Gallien-Krueger Backline 2x10 and 1x15). I have no illusions about the speaker cabs, tone-wise it's not the greatest but it doesn't make me gag either. Amp is a Peavey T-MAXX.

Most of the shows I play have full PA so I more or less just want a big monitor behind me. My current rig has been doing the job passably, but I did once own a Peavey 4x10 w/ tweeter and remember it having a richer low end and being more powerful than the 2x10 + 1x15 setup I have now. I dumped that cab because my band didn't have a van any more and I thought it was too much of a pain trying to squeeze it in the backseat of my car and lugging down stairs, etc (sorry 8x10-ers, I know I'm a wuss...but I've come to terms with this).

If you haven't figured it out by now, I don't have a ton of cash to work with :bawl:. But I've run across several local classified ads for cheap Hartke XL and Peavey 4x10s, and I'm considering getting one, because first of all, I'm not sure it'd be any less portable than what I currently use (being one, heavier package instead of two slightly lighter ones), and second of all, as I mentioned, my tone is less-than-inspiring. I'm pretty sure I dig the head I'm using, so it's just the cab situation I'm thinking about changing.

I haven't played through the Hartke 4x10s before, although I had a 2x10 combo years back.

Anyone have opinions on which is better, as far as on a combination of tone and portability? As far as what tone I'm looking for, like I said, I'm not ultra critical about it but I do tune to drop Db and occasionally use a 5ver, so it would be great to have some nice bottom support. The setup I have right now gives me all the mids I want, and then some, so I could do fine with something that sounded a little more "scooped" if that is what it comes down to.

The peavey in question is the TX, with the tweeter, I don't think the Hartke XLs come with one, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a gear snob, so suggestions are welcome if there are other brands I could fine in this price range that would be good. The used prices I'm seeing on these range from $175-270, and I'd prefer not going much higher than that.

I appreciate anyone's opinions!

Thanks

2. i have a peavey 410tx and love it.. a lot of the boutique guys will say it sucks. do what is best for you. i would pick peavey over hartke personally though.

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Get the Hartke XL. Hands down. The older the better. I've had one since the mid-90s and have never blown a speaker and it's a mutha to move but the sound is totally worth it.

The lack of tweeter is a non-issue. The aluminum drivers will deliver all the high-end you'd ever want. And mids and lows for that matter too.

4. I have tried some hartke rigs and to me they all sound empty with a big lack of mids and to me metallic non musical sounding cab . Im a die hard ampeg guy but I do respect the peavey stuff very reliable and a very powerfull sound

5. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I had a 2x10 and 1x15 but sold the 1x15 because it was to big to lug around. Now I got 2 2x10's and can use one or both with a LH500 and can play anywhere and be heard.

6. Fendr1320

Fendr1320

Jun 14, 2007
    Chicago-ish
    all very good thoughts....thanks folks! please keep em coming!

7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Anyone who says it sucks is listening with their wallet (which is right next to their ass) instead of their ears. It's a great cab that has a slightly scooped sound. It has more bottom than anything anywhere near it's price category.

8. I prefer the Hartke VXL to the XL - cleaned deeper fuller but that's just IMO

9. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    If your looking at a Hartke 4x10 I believe the best value is going to be the 4.5XL. It has a different design then the regular 410XL. It is a little bigger and deeper. It also sounds deeper. It also has more presence in the upper mids because fo the 5" mid speaker. The one downer is they weighs about 100 lbs.

10. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    Hartke 410 XL

don't go for the transporter series (if they even still make them)

Peavey is okay too. but if I had to choose...

11. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I bought a Hartke XL right after they came out. Sold it a month later. I have been a "boutique guy" for a few years now, but still have a Peavey 410TVX.

I have never had a Peavey that gave me reason to cuss it, and never owned a Hartke that I didn't sell.

12. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    I agree with the 4.5XL(Hartke) suggestion. The Peavey is also a great cab and they both are butt heavey. The Peavey weighs just as much.

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    What kind of $$ are you seeing them for? I've seen older SWR goliath cabs going as low as $300 - which is pretty darned good...

For my part, if I owned a Peavy I'd have to remove the name plate... I just have too many bad memories of old *really bad* peavy amps... REALLY bad... (the '70s, ya know)

14. Asg09

Asg09

Aug 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Hartke XL or the older cabs / the Transient Attack one i own is amazing.

Never heard a cab so clear.

im playing through a HA2000 head.

Some poeple say that the Hartkes lack mids...honestly..I dont know what there talking about.

the 10 band EQ allows you to mess with mids all u want >.<

but yes...

the hartke XL :)

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Gonna have to disagree with you here. I have an XL from the mid-90s and my church has a 1-year old 4.5 and my cabinet kicks the 4.5 eight ways to Sunday (apologies for the pun).

And FWIW they both weigh in at around 100 lbs. The XL may be a tad lighter, but not enough to notice the diff.

16. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Maybe there is something wrong with the cab at your church. I think it was 2002, I did a side by side using a Lakland 55-02 and the same amp ,same settings . There was no comparison at that time.We all have our opions though. It seemed that the additional depth in the cab allowed it to be tuned lower,to me the sound had more beef. It was a fatter cab. The 5" mid driver gave it more upper mid presence and highs but that was my ears. I bought the 4.5 and the 2.5 also bought a 115XL so I do know and have used hartke equipment for awhile.

17. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Agreed lazyone, it's a subjective thing. To me the 4.5 sounds muddier than my old 410 and is not nearly as efficient in terms of converting watts to volume... but for another player with a different bass, head etc. than mine the 4.5 may be just the ticket. I personally would take either of the Hartkes over a Peavey cab but again that's just me. All three of them weigh too much, it's just a question of if you can live with the weight in return for the sound.

18. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Right. I'd suggest getting another 2x10 and stacking them vertically. It will be punchier and more present than a typical square 410 setup.

19. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Peavey is plenty good, they make less expensive stuff that is a good value. I've had some stuff to include the 410's. When you are not doing a side by side comparison they sound fine. You won't be comparing to other rigs on a gig. I much prefer Hartke though.

20. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah but it doesn't look as cool. I mean unless you're the skinniest guy alive, when you stand in front of 2 stacked 210s your cabs are completely hidden... and who wants that?

:bag:

OTOH you will have a lot more versatility with 2 210s cause face it, unless you are playing regularly in some pretty big leagues, a 4x10 cab can be overkill especially if you have a decent P.A.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021