Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 410XL, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, Apr 25, 2005.

1. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    So yesterday I went to trade in my old peavey 2x10 for store credit or something. But then the bass manager tells me he'll trade me a Hartke 410XL. So now i have one. I'm using it ontop of my Genz Benz 410. All this being powered with a QSC RMX1450 and Sansamp. So if anyone who reads this cares to let me know what they think, feel free. :)

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i had a 4.5xl. at low volumes it sounded ok, at high volumes, i wanted to throw it out of a movingcar.

3. Sounds like you got a good deal.....As long as it's the XL stuff...of course my profile shows why I'm alittle biassed :)

4. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    haha, yes I see that. I haven't gigged with it yet, but I've had the volume up in my room and so far, so good.

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I was kind of hating the tinny, trelbe-heavy sound from my 410XL recently, so I bought an Avatar 212 ($321 delivered). Now I'm LOVIN' my rig -- the 410XL has a nice treble punch, and the 212 fills in the low end the Hartke was missing by itself. While I liked the 212 a lot by itself, paired with the 410XL, it's giving me the "wall of sound" I was looking for.

Now if I can just get my hands on a REALLY cheap good preamp. :D

My wife is beginning to question having a full stack in our living room. She just doesn't understand proper "decor". :D I will admit, though, it's a big change from the Bassman 25 I had bought as my inconspicuous upstairs practice amp. :bag:

6. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    yeah, I'm liking it with my genz benz 410 on the bottom. It's like an 8x10 with 2 different sets of 410s. Actually, I got this to hold me out until I order an Avatar 212. :rolleyes:

7. I didn't like the 410XL at all. Not enough lows, not enough highs. The 4.5XL was a vast improvement. But my tastes may not match yours.

Randy

8. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Hey Bartman,

You want a great, cheap preamp? Yamaha PB1.

By far the best price/performance ratio money can buy IMHO.

Great EQ, great crossover, great headphone amp for practice, great reliability. It's got it all. And did I say cheap?

You can find 'em for under $150.

And no, I'm not selling mine.

9. With all the Hartke stuff I have I admitt I have'nt played thru the 410XL but I do play thru the 215XL and I can get earth shaking lows and great highs and everything in between. At 110lbs I put casters on the cab and move it mostly by myself.... so I guess the trade off for the sound I like is mobility