Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 410XL vs. 4.5XL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Apr 22, 2002.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hi,
    I have 2 Hartke 410XL cabs (and a 115XL). The first one I bought in 1989 or 90 and is the one I use if I only need one cab on a gig.
    A few years ago I modified it by mounting the same horn and crossover in it as used by SWR, Eden & several other brands (same manufacturer provides these to several companies). The clarity of this cab is unbelievable (I've had numerous "excellent" comments from other players since the mod. And a few $ offers for it :cool: .)
    However, in some rooms I find myself wishing for a little fuller sound (i.e. more low) without adding a second cab. I've read the 4.5XL, due to its deeper, ported design has more bottom than the 410XL.

Can anyone thats moved from a 410XL to a 4.5XL give me some comparison/contrasts? Also any comments on the 5" driver (in the 4.5XL) vs. a horn.

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I have the 2.5XL, same concept. The 5" driver
    in the .5 versions emphasizes the Khz's in a cleaner
    less "honking" way than a horn I feel.
    Also, the bottom porting on this version is a little more expansive. Go with the .5 version, well worth it. Downside, no attenuation, but I don't think you need it- I don't think there's a crossover, but the 3 drivers act as a unified system-No problem!

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thanks LarryJ,
    There definately has to be an internal (passive) crossover or that 5" driver would be shrapnel from the first note.
    Thanks Again

4. grinderfurax

grinderfurax

Aug 6, 2013
    Hi there !

I re-open an old topic to ask you something berore buying a new amp and cabs.

I play bass in a Death Metal Band and the drumer has a very loud play. I'm look for something enough sharp for the punch, enough clear to understand the bass line, but with a bit of depth in sound anyway.

I have an USA LTD F-254 dropped in C, with EMG pickups and EMG active egalizer.

I'll buy Hartke XL cabs with their aluminium cone drivers. I think I'll put a 15" (for the loud and the depth) aside a Xx10" (for the medium and clearness).

My question is about the 10" :

- the 115XL is given for 200W @ 8 ohm. If I take the 210XL I'll have 200W @ 8ohm too, and this could be easily transported.

- the 410 XL gives 400 W @ 8 ohm, that's too much aside the 115XL, very heavy. But the 4x10 is a bigger cab, wich means that the tone will be different. Moreover, the speakers will be higher from the floor, and will be more easy too hear.

- everyone seems to prefer the 4.5 XL, due too his different tone when using only 4.5 XL in comparision of the 410 XL. But I can't find any feedback about using the 4.5 XL aside a 115 XL cabinet. I fear this would be too loud or something...

- the last possibility would be the 2.5 XL, wich is a medley of everything before.

If someone could help me a bit.

PS : english isn't y natural speaking I do y best :p

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

The best advice I can give you, and many here will repeat it, is to not mix driver sizes. A 410 and a 115 is an awful combination. The 115 will struggle to keep up with the 410, if you insist on getting the 115 to go with the 410, make sure the 115 is on top so you can hear it when it starts to fail.

Speakers do not give different results based on speaker size, a 15" speaker will have just as much low end as a 10" assuming they are both designed the same way and a 15" will have just as much punch as a 10" if designed that way.

6. I would go with one 4.5XL to start with. They are a very loud cabinet and play just as low as their 115XL so there is really no need for the 115XL. If you need to be louder then two of them would work nicely. They are very heavy though so you might want to consider the HyDrive 4x10. It is considerably lighter - 30 pounds lighter actually, and can handle a lot more power.