Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 410XL vs. Hartke VX410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StartingLineBass, Apr 6, 2004.

1. StartingLineBass

StartingLineBass

Jul 24, 2002
    I'm looking to get a bigger and better rig. Both of these cabs are similar and both in price range (with VX being cheaper) but I was wondering which one do the fellow TB's like better? I'm leaning towards the VX because of the price but I still want the best cab I can get for my price range.
    Thanks

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Best cab for that price range is not ANY Hartke, just my opinion. Avatars are a bit cheaper, and will eat them for lunch.

Also, my opinion, the XL series are much better than the VX series, FWIW . . . but they sound much different . . . you need to guage which of the two sounds better to you. Then buy an Avatar . . .

3. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hartke's aluminum drivers on the XL just sound tinny to me. I just compared these two cabs yesterday and might buy a VX410 in the future. The VX has the punch and grit I'm looking for in a cab. $300 is a great price too.

Also, I've never seen an avatar around anywhere, so I don't know where you'd begin to look to try one out.

4. You have to use your ears. I would say that your ears will tell you which one you want to hear, and it reads like the VX sound what your looking for.

Personally i like the XL cabs, infact been using them for almost 10yrs. Warm, punchy and tight, cut thru the mix everytime,so I guess its aluminum for me.
    frank

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    They are mail order only, just like Carvin. If you don't like it within the trial period, you send it back.

Do a search here on Avatar, highly recommended, and HANDS DOWN the best speaker cab you will find in that price range.

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Stingrays are also highly recommended, but I hated the way it played. Shipping on speaker cabs isn't cheap either.

Musical equipment is too important to buy without hearing the sound.