Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 4x10 XL, Can you describe the sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Samie, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi,

Any hartke 4x10 XL users? a friends ones to buy one but he has not tested one.

He is looking for that "new strings" sound.

Any help¿?

Thanx

2. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    He'll definitely get a very tight, punchy 'new-strings' sound from a Hartke XL. Some people find them too cutting but I like them just fine. I've never had any trouble getting good low end out of them either....

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I owned a 410XL cab and upgraded to a 4.5XL (plus a 215XL cab). The difference between them is that besides the 5" driver upgrade, the cab itself is deeper so it has a bit more low end. Both of them are punchy. The 4.5 is somewhat more hi-fi sounding for me. The "new strings" sound has its limits (you cannot push the treble indefinitely because in the end, with dead strings, the sound is totally unnatural), but yes, the alluminium cones have a little more presence than normal paper ones. But this is not the most omportant thing about alluminium cones. The great feature about them is that they are so ight that the voice coil can move it faster, creating a faster attack (that's where the punch comes from). This is the remarkable aspect of Hartke cabs and not the brightness (even "harshiness" for some people) of the sound itself.

ANDRUCA

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I owned a 4.5XL for a short period and borrowed a 410XL to compare to it.

The highs are better on the 4.5XL thanks to the 5er. I found the 410XL to be kind of dark.

I found them both to be kind of nasal sounding, especially compared to other cabinets.

If you blow a speaker...look out. Samson wants $120+ for a new one, if there is cone damage a reconing shop can't help you, etc.

It's very important to try before you buy!!!!

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I bought an older version of the 410XL this weekend, and I find it perfect for the sound of my SUB. Ther high end is cut off at about 5 k so I do not get a harsh sound that I'm used to with my GK head.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    SMASH, the newer 4.5XLs are rated 400 watts (IIRC). The older ones are less than 300...275ish sticks in my mind.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've used a Hartke 410 XL cab for over 10 years. It's pretty punchy and I've never had a problem cutting through the mix with it, but my tastes have kind of changed and I'm keeping half an eye out for something a little warmer.

8. rotorheadcase

rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    I also run a 4.5 XL rated at 400W and I love the tight punchy sound from it. Most of the time I run it with a 2X10 XL and that means my head is putting out 350W across all six speakers. In the sort of venues I play that's more than enough and the cabs never really sound like they're being overworked at all.

They have a lot of attack and the 4.5 has a lower port as well for extra bottom end. I predominantly use the B and E string and have never had the flatulence :D that Smash experienced.

My sound is predominantly low and low mids with a little top midend dialed in for clarity. I think a lot depends on the tone you're looking for.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For years I used a 4.5xl, and was reasonably happy with the sound. Unfortunately, the speakers failed, the same way they failed with my other previous Hartke cabs. IMO, those drivers are way, way too vulnerable if you stress them at all.

There are PLENTY of "former" Hartke owners, and nearly every one of them will have a tale of a damaged driver, one that was very difficult - and very expensive - to replace.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Smash makes and excellent point about tastes, variances, and opinions. I had a conversation with another local bassist recently about his rig, and how he boasted about all the lows he gets out of it at high volume. I went and saw him live, and it was "clank" city, almost all mids and highs, with almost NO lows by my standards. What he thought were lows and what I think are lows are two totally different things . . . take all reviews with a grain of salt, and listen for yourselves.