Hartke $5 strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Panda Licker, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Has anybody seen these? Hartke has recently put out packs of bass strings retaling for under 7 dollars (I"ve seen them as low as 5)

I really need to find a place to pick some of these up. Talking to my substitute teachers bassplayer (He's in a band, and its a small town, so I meet people like this), she told me her husband strings all of his basses with these and that its really pretty hard to tell the difference. And for $5, how could I go wrong?

EDIT* I guess I was a little off on the prices, its more like $10. I guess the pack I saw for 5 was on Ebay. Either way, I just picked up a pack of 3 sets online for $25, and I'm looking forward to trying them out.
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, I guess the people with acid hands now have a new option...
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    To be honest, even at $5.00, they aren't worth it to me. Just my opinion, but I thought they were terrible strings.
  4. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I tried a set when they were first introduced at $3.00 a set. They were ok but I would not use them again. If you like them, it's a good deal. There are also some good deals on D'Addario XL twin packs at Musician's Friend if the Hartke strings don't do it for you.
  5. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My friend plays them and SWEARS by them. I can't really understand it, but he honestly strings his bass with the Hartkes over other brands
  6. My pack came in today

I strung my Fender Jazz Special so far. I'll give it a day or 2 before I actually "review" them, but so far they seem pretty good. A little too bright for my liking, but thats because they're new. I also have to get used to playing a new guage of string
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like what they do on my Conklin. I haven't tried them on anythnig else, yet.
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    +1. Second worst string I've ever used, after pro steels.
  9. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    What do you play with Cheezewiz? I'm still trying to find the right fit for me. I don't like brights.
  10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I like a lot of different strings. For cheaper ones, Ernie Ball's are pretty nice! I love Thomastik Infeld Jazz flats, Superalloys, and
    Powerbass (listed from dullest to brightest...but ALL have GREAT Mids), and I like most varieties of DRs. For less bright...check out Nickle low riders.
  11. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks much. I hear a lot of good things about DR's and Thomastik Infeld
  12. george_r

Dec 3, 2005
    I just put on a set. Very bright tone, but I'm not sure how long it will last. I got two packs from my local guitar shop for $7 a pack. The A string in one pack was totally dead. It sounded like it was a year old. Luckly I got two packs. So far I'm satasfied.
  13. groucho

Sep 28, 2005
    Ringwood NJ
    I got a few sets, used only one...
    I keep the rest for experimental setups
    or breaking in new parts (necks/bridges).
    They sound OK bright -which i like:)
    But VERY hard on the hands:eek:
    A lot like the Martin bass strings you
    can also pick up really cheap.
    Seems they use an edgy rough wrap -
    maybe these skip some kind of finishing

For those interested- a bunch of Prism sets
    and Slow wound sets being blown out on
  14. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    FWIW- the "Hartke" branded strings at one of my local guitar stores are very obviously just D'addario XLs without D'addario packaging. You can tell from the colored ball ends, which are identical to the D'addarios (as is everything else about the strings- available gauges, tone, and appearance!). I've been using them exclusively now for about 6 months- can't beat a $10 set of D'addario XLs...
  15. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    While there are many "brands", there are really but a few actual string manufacturers. I always enjoy the brand "debates".
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're not BAD strings, I've used them once or twice in an emergency, but have always gone back to D'Addario's as soon as I could.
  17. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm telling you- they ARE D'addario XLs in different packaging...I challenge you to tell the difference ;) ...I've used them back to back and they are identical...

18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    They are D'addario factory second's, thats what I've heard.
  19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    For a cheap, usable string, thats not a bad price.
  20. BackwaterBass

Feb 18, 2008
    I'd almost bet that these are the same strings that Larry Hartke will give you if you call him up and talk for a minute. Seriously, you ever see the Hartke ads on the back of Bass Player magazine that shows Larry's cell phone number? Well, we called it the other day, chatted with Larry Hartke and after a few minutes he took my address and said he'd send me out a set of Hartke bass strings. So if you want to try it and don't want to risk $5, call the dude and tell him you're a big fan of his amps. (201) 680-8153