Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 5000 head question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hitman9696, Jun 19, 2004.

1. I have a question... :help:

The Hartke 5000 is a dual amp system.

It is rated at 250watts per side for a 4ohm speakers, and rated 170 rated per side for 8ohm speakers. Basically, 2 low end outputs, two high end outputs on the back. Now, plug this into ONE 8ohm cabinet, ONE output (i.e. the Hartke 4.5XL) and what will you get?

The easy answer is 2x170 = 340 watts, right? ... But call me stupid, I'm just not getting it. For me, it seems more like a only 170 watts. Please, if anyone can explain who these things work, it'll help me so much, you have no idea.

Thanks for your time everyone, I have been away for a long time on from this site, just remembered what a great place this is. Great bunch of bassists :bassist: :D

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I don't have a Hartke 5000, but the answer seems simple enough to me.

You said for each side, it's 250W @ 4 ohm, 170W @ 8 ohm. 2x 4 ohm cabs would give you 500W, 2x 8 ohm cabs would give you 340W if both cabs were plugged in both sides and 250W if both cabs were plugged into the same side?

Since you only have 1x 8 ohm cab plugged into one side, you only get 170W since it's rated at 170W @ 8ohm for each side.

Right?

3. exactly, now I get it, thanks for the reply.

I'm gonna go back Monday at the music store, and return it, and order the 3500. I know the salesman, and he promised me that I would get 2x170 watts. It (and he) turns out to be wrong.

The only reason I got this in the first place is because they didn't have the 3500, and the guy gave me his promise that I'll get 340 watts. But just getting 170 watts for the money I put is ridiculous!

So in the end, I'll end up with the Hartke 3500 head, and 4.5XL cab.

4. exactly, you'll only get 170 watts into one 8 ohm speaker....

This amp comes to life when you run bi-amped into two 4 ohm speakers, otherwise it's not as much oomph as i'd like. :(

I took a 2x15 cab and put one jack per speaker, so I can run each side of the Hartke 5000 into a speaker, at least that way I could get 340 watts with only one cab.

Too bad Hartke didn't design this amp to be bridged.