Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 5000 to 7000 conversion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nashvillebill, Jul 7, 2005.

1. I've had a Hartke 5000 for a few years....Alas, I wish I had purchased the 7000 for more power!!

These two amps are the same, the only difference is the 7000 has an additional pair of output transistors on each channel (the power amp PC board shows the empty space with a note, "delete part for 5000) and I assume the 7000 has higher power supply rail voltages (so the toroidal power transformer is different, unfortunately it's a custom wound job with taps for various preamp voltages). The preamp board and all other components are the same.

Has anybody ever converted the 5000 to 7000 or even considered it? If anybody has a schematic for either one, that'd be nice too...

I've emailed Hartke but the pessimist in me says they wouldn't be interested in doing it, though perhaps they'd sell me a new toroidal. Still, even if it's $200, it's cheaper than a new amp.

2. I cant comment on the transformation other theb to me it sounds impractical. You can get HA7000 for pretty cheap if you keep your eyes open. I bought mine new for $100... yeah thats not a typo a hundred bucks new lol well NOS. I sold it on here for i believe $350 a little while back. I have often seen them go for between 400 and 500 at various places. if you pay 500 for a HA7000 sell the HA5000 for 300 you got the 7000 for what your thinking the transformer would cost.

3. This is the older 5000, not the HA5000.

4. do you have a preference to the 7000 as to the HA7000? I am not sure if there is really a difference or not I am not to up on the Hartke line and history

5. I do not know the exact differences, but from other people's comments, the newer HA series uses different output transistors and naturally people claim the older version is better. Who knows ....without the two amps to open up and look at, I can't say for sure, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D