Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 5000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SixString, Jul 31, 2002.

1. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    I have a few questinos about the hartke 5000.

Would it be able to match a peavey tripple x with only one cab at 250 wats(until i get a second cab)?

Would getting a second cab drasticly increase the volume put out?

I dont realy understand the 250+250 concept does that mean with 2 cabs i'll sound as if i'm on 500wats?

If you have any info on the hartke 5000 please post it. Also if u have any sugjestinos on soemthing better to do with my 1000$ in buying an amp please sugjest them keeping in mind i'm up agaisnt a dubble bassing drummer (not mic'd) and that peavey tripple X

2. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    p.s We play medium+ size clubs

3. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    Not if he/she plays loud.

Yes

Not really, it will just sound like you have two 250watt amps. More head room. A more spread out sound and it will be much louder.

I played the 3500 as a back up for a while and was impressed. Very loud. But sometimes it would just shut off for 30 seconds and then start up again. I wasn't pushing it. The master was only on 3. I don't know if its some kind of protection shut off but it sucks when it stops right in the middle of a song. Try it on some gigs and see how you like it.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i played with a gu*tarist who had a trip x. i used an swr bass 350 through a 410. it was just loud enough no headroom either. i dont think 250 alone will be enough but the 250x2 should definitely be. i would recommend getting a second cab to go with. i now have the hartke 7000 and it is more than enough power to cover that lousy gu*tar amp... great tone too!

5. BassDodger

BassDodger Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    Probably, but you are going to REALLY need that second Cab. You could mono the Hartke as to produce 500 watts, but BE CAREFUL! If that cab cannot handle it or your in the slightest of question about what it can or can't handle, then you will blow it! Know your Ohm rating and post that info as well before you do it!

YES...OH, YEA! That amp was(of course) designed with the Hartke 4X10 cabs in mind...2 of them, actually. If you put another 4X10 or 115 on there, that Triple and Mr. DoubleFoote will be trying to keep up with you! You will be able to go above, below, and all points in between of those guys.

That Hartke has TWO amps inside it. Although they share the same power and control settings (to a certain extent), there a physically 2 amps in there. You can run one at 250 watts. You can run the other at the same time at 250 watts (this is known as "bi-amping". Please see back of Hartke 5000). With that bi-amp button in the back, you can "Mono" the two amps- thus producing 500 watts. Once again to warn you, though- you mono that amp into one cab and that cab can't handle it, it's over, bye-bye speakers- Mr. Triple and Doublefoote will be telling stories about you for a LOOONG time...and yes- you put another cab with it, you total sound output will be 500 watts- more than you may ever need in "Meduim+" clubs.

I own the 7000. The only difference between your amp and mine is that I have an additional 100 watts per side (350X350) and although I have only had this amp for a few months, I can tell you that I don't NEED that extra 100 watts a side. But it is nice to have, just in case...

I'm gonna post the Hartke 5000/7000 manual for you in .pdf format. Read up on it and take the warnings seriously. I don't know what cabnet you have right now- you might wanna post that back as well...until then- Happy Lowend!

http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/ACF1903.pdf

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I just got a used Hartke 5000 a couple of weeks ago. It is very loud compared to other amps that are listed with similar wattage. It seems that Hartkes are like that for all their models.

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I just got a 5000. I am running an SWR WM 1X15 on the low output and a 2X10 on the high side. It is very loud :cool: Since these are 8 ohm cabs, I get 170 watts per side=total 340 watts. I do not think the 5000 is bridgeable. Therefore IMO the most you can get with 1 cab is 250 watts for 4 ohms :eek: Unless I am mistaken ;)

8. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    So if i am only gonig to be having 1 cab the 3500 would be a better choicE?

9. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Yes. The 3500 is a very good amp and if you plan to run just one cab. it is definitely the better choice.

10. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Which cab are you using? If you are going to add a cab in the future, the 5000 is a better choice IMHO.:)

11. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    How about hooknig up a cab to a 3500 in the future is it possible? does it help?

12. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    With the 3500: If your existing cab is 8 ohm, you will be able to add another 8ohm. If it is 4 ohm, you are done :eek: The 5000 can support 2 4ohm cabs :D

13. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    so with the 3500 woulds it be better jsut to stick with a 4x10 at 4 then osmething else at 8?

Also is the 3500 a tube amp? I didnt think so but i thought i read it somewear

14. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The 3500 can only support one 4 ohm and nothing else at the same time.

You would have to stick w the 4x10 at 4ohms, if that is what you are using.You could run 2 8ohm cabs also with that amp. Maybe other 3500 owners would like to weigh in on that one.

The 3500 is solid state main amp, and has a 12A7 tube preamp to add color :cool:

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I thought someone woulda said that HA7000... you get 240 watts perside at 8 ohms and 350 per side a 4... I Would get that amp.

16. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The 7000 is quite a bit more money.

3500 = $450
    5000 = $540
    7000 = $700 (web order new)

Sure, If youve got the bux ;)

If your in the $700 price range, one might want to look at an SWR 350x, for that matter.:D