Hartke 5000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by teprodic, May 1, 2003.

1. I just bought this amp two days ago new from Ebay. I'm expecting it in my doorstep by next week hopefully. Are there any good or bad things that I should know about this amp? Is this amp a good way to go? The style of music I play is heavy metal to death metal or anything hard rock. So was this a good purchase?

Dec 28, 2002
    im jelouse iv been looking the last few days at those on ebay lol..I dont know if there that good thats why im browsing this forum though see whats really sweet ..my uncle plays threw harke with 4 10 stack hes bad ass sounds sweet but never dicked with itor seen what one he has i think it was a 3000 and it was loud!..i got an ancient peavey 400(ebay) 46 bux!75/sh lol **** 200 watts or better love it lol but i really need to upgrade...i have A LOT of peavey equipment and it just lasts forever and ever and ever...thinking of getting a NEW peavey like a firehorse II or some**** looks cool..we 2 play metal and hard rock....lookin for info also. good luck man post agin let me know how it sounds!!!!!!!!
  3. I think it depends on how you intend to use it. It is my understanding that this amp is designed to run 2 cabs in parallel mono or bi-amp. If you are only running 1 cab then you can only use 1/2 the power amp as it can't be bridged.
  4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i have a ha5000 i bought new. i'm very happy w/ it. As i don't gig or play death-metal, i can't comment as to it's suitability for your needs. It is a very clean sounding head and has lots of versatility. I run it into an ampeg pr1528he, biamped--low into 1x15, high into 2x8" w/ horn. It has both tube and solid state preamp sections that you can mix or match. It also has a built in compressor, but i don't really like compression. may sound wierd but hartke puts out a top of the line instruction manual, IMO, and it is really useful in explaining in detail all of the functions and suggested settings. My guess is you can use some distortion/overdrive pedals and make her howl!
  5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Do you know the specs? Get the manual at www.harkte.com and read it. I have the 5000. It offers great tonal flexibility, and it is VERY loud. The one thing that is very important to understand is that it is actually TWO amplifiers - each capable of 170 watts@ 8ohms, and 250 watts at 4 ohms but NOT bridgeable. This is bad news if you are using one high capacity cab. This is good if you have 2 cabs with different speaker diameters. I have a 1x15 and 2x10, and it works well. Good luck!
  6. From what I read in the specs is that two 8ohm cabinets will make this go to it's full 500 watts. Am I wrong? I was planning on using this with an 8ohm 4x10 and another 8ohm 1x15.
  7. I've gigged with a 5000 for 6 years or so. It runs 250 watts per side into 4 ohms, either bi-amped or parallel mono. It CANNOT be bridged.

Sound is OK but I honestly can't tell much difference between the tube pre section and the SS pre. (Maybe I'll change to one of my ancient Magnavox tubes one day that I've got sitting around).

Reliability has been good for me at least, and it's reasonably loud, though I wish I had bought the 7000.
  8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    You are wrong, my friend. ;) You need 2 4 ohm cabs or 4 8ohm cabs to get the full 500 watts.

2 8ohm cabs will give you 340 (170 per side). Still pretty loud, tho :bassist: I have an SWR WM 1x15 and 2x10 and it shakes my house on 2! :cool:
  9. Damn that sucks. Is there a way I can re-wire my cabinets? How would this work? Do I take them to the local guitar center and they'll do it? Also what do you mean by BRIDGEABLE
  10. Don't go crazy over the difference between 340 and 500 watt, you'll barely notice it!...