1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke 5500 'Hybrid' amp head watt/ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PunkRockDunn, Aug 20, 2012.

1. PunkRockDunn

PunkRockDunn

Jan 5, 2010
    I've had this Hartke 5500 bass head around my basement for about two/three years now and I'm finally ready to do something with it, but so far it's been really difficult to choose a cab to pair it with.

With what I've read, the amp is 500 watts at 4 ohms. But it has two preamp options switchable on the head, a tube and a solid state.

With a bit of searching, I found a Fender Bassman 410 cab for a little over $200 that seems in pretty good shape, I'm just really unsure if that'll be a safe combination. The cab is rated 8 ohm "700 Watts (Program), 350 Watts (Continous) Handling Capability"

To be clear, I'm new to the game of heads and cabs, but I've been around this website educating myself for awhile now, and I remember reading something along the lines of tube heads couldn't/shouldn't be with an unmatched cab - as in the power ratings 'n whatnot.

So to conclude, would this set up work? A Hartke 5500 500 watt 4 ohm head running at 8 ohms via a Fender Bassman 410?

Also, what's the point of this emoticon? :bag:

2. Yes, it will work fine, and that emoticon is what people use to show that they're 'hiding' after saying something possibly conterversial.

Liam