1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke 5500 Issues.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 18, 2009.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    We are having a recital at my campus. I am part of the rag tag trio that got thrown together. We rehearsed at another students warehouse and his bassist was nice enough to let me use his rig while there. Its a Hartke 5500 head, 4x10xl, and VX 2x15 cab.

We had the dress rehearsal tonight in the campus' performing arts center and rather than lug my 2x10 and 1x15 xlts, I bring my old, but trusty Peavey TKO 1x15 combo.

For some reason my friends bassist decides to let me use the
    5500 and 4x10xl for the show. Don't need it, don't wanna use it, don't really like it, but my friend brought it with him to the rehearsal and was kind of insistent on me using it. So I figure what the Hell, I'll use it and save my gear a little wear and tear.

I start warming up when after about 5 minutes I smell burnt plastic/rubber or something along those lines and all power to the head is gone. The head just upped and crapped out on me. Did the run down of checking electrical chords, etc but the head is kaput.

We didn't really have time to pull the fuse to see if that blew, so I honestly don't know whats wrong the head, but from having to sell them back in the day when I worked in retail music Hartke was the most common product that came back for blown speakers/heads. Another friend of mine had a 1410 combo and had to send it back to NY from FL twice due to failure.

Anyone else here have a problem with Hartke, with the head just up and dying? I'd also like to know why their heads tend to do that.

This is the first time I've used Hartke products in 8 years and it only reinforced a disliking in them. Still way too noisy when you use the treble contour and graphic eq, the compressor is crap IMO, , not to mention it just crapping out and dying the way it did. The old crappy looking Peavey TKO 75 watt 1x15 combo with crackling pots came in and saved the day with what was actually a fuller tone and cranked out enough volume to be heard throughout the empty 565 seat performing arts center without having to be mic'd. But the Chris (sound guy) and I are going to mic it tomorrow just to be on the safe side and make it sound a bit fatter.

BTW, I was also thinking they were going to try and make me replace his head, because they were pretty livid and kept throwing how new it was and what it cost in my face, not to mention how they were politely accusing me of breaking his head. Fortunately, when he called his bassist he was told this was the 2nd time this has happened to the head and how it had to be sent back to NY the first time.

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    :eyebrow: