1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke 5500 or Eden WT550?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vkiing, Jul 26, 2012.

1. vkiing

vkiing

Feb 27, 2011
    Rotterdam
    I recently bought a brand new Mesa Powerhouse 4x10, and i have a hard time picking a head. Because the mesa was on the pricy side, the head should be on the more cheap side. I basically narrowed it down to two heads, which both sound great. I would buy the eden, but i read on some threads that you couldnt crank the volume on it, and that it starts clipping early. I wondered if this would happen too if i matched it up with the powerhouse? How efficient is the powerhouse 410? I also wondered if you can get a good growly tone with it, with cranking the gain, and if it works well with effects. Any input from a eden wt550 user would be very welcome!
    On the other hand there is a Hartke 5500, which is cheaper, and nobody seems to state that it lacks in volume, infact its stated that it gets really loud. I play with a loud drummer so volume is necessary. I cant a/b the heads unfortunately but i played them both and the tone of both is amazing, with the eden being a bit better sounding to my ears. I also prefer its EQ.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Between those 2 I'd get the Eden, but I would choose a GK MB500 (might be available in the Netherlands) over either. IME it's a louder 500 watts than the Eden, sounds great, is cheaper and lighter/smaller/easier to carry.

3. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I have a lot more experience with the Eden over the Hartke, but in general I find the Eden's sound to be more appealing and easier to set. Usually with Hartke products I have to fiddle with the knobs for 15 minutes to find the sound I want.. With the Eden it's usually "leave it as it is" and it sounds awesome.

4. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    I have experience with both the Eden WT550 and Hartke in general ( I had the 3500). I gigged heavily with the Hartke for 5yrs and it performed like a champ. It was really loud and was truly reliable. The Eden on the other hand, although having a pleasing tone, clipped early and easily. I only kept it for 6 months before I sold it and got another Hartke (the HA4000). I passed the HA4000 down to my son who is still gigging with it regularly in his metal band. I hope that helps.

5. vkiing

vkiing

Feb 27, 2011
    Rotterdam
    @ransombass is the volume enough to match a really loud drummer, or does it clip really early? Is it usable for small/medium sized clubs?

6. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    @vkiing If you're speaking of the Eden, it didn't keep up with the band I was in at the time. I was running it through two Aguilar DB112's or an Ampeg 410HLF. The band consisted of 4 vocals, acoustic guitar, electric bass, djembe and drum kit. The drummer was on the upper end of moderately loud. I wasn't impressed with the output (although the tone was nice) at all since my 250watt Bassman 250/115 handled the job quite nicely previously.

The Hartke handled it all with no problem, running through a Hartke 4.5xl cab. I actually liked the Hartke's tone good lows and the highs werenÂ’t too glassy. The band had two loud electric guitars, three vocals, electric bass and a moderate to semi-loud drummer.

I hope that helps.

7. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Did you have the enhance knob or EQ tweaked? Usually if you start spinning the Enhance knob a bit it adds extremely low Bass.. Which would require both the head and cabs to work harder.. Giving you less head room

8. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    I went on the Eden forums to see what I was doing wrong. I followed all of their recommendations and still wasn't getting what I wanted out of it. I'm not saying that all WT550's will perform like mine did. I just couldn't get the power and tone that I wanted. I blamed it on user ignorance and too many knobs. Haha...I'm not arrogant enough to think that there's something wrong with David Eden's design. There are too many happy Eden players to assume that.