1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke 5500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowendPhil, Oct 23, 2013.

1. LowendPhil

LowendPhil

Oct 18, 2013
    So a Hartke 3500 Head gives

350 watts @ 4 ohms
    240 watts @ 8 ohms

How is this calculated?

I want to apply a formula to Hartke 5500 head, Hartke state the 5500 gives 500 watts @ 4 ohms.

I need to know how much the 5500 will give out @ 8 ohms.

With the 3500, 2 4x10 cabs would receive 175 watts each @ 4 ohms. (8 ohms each)
    1 4x10 cab would receive 240 watt @ 8 ohms.

With the 5500, 2 4x10 cabs would receive 250 watts each @ 4 ohms. (8 ohms each)
    1 4x10 cab would receive xxxxxx @ 8 ohms

I'm sure I will be rapidly corrected and chastised if my assumptions are incorrect, but hey ho.

So any takers to my initial question, how much power does the 5500 give out @ 8 ohms????

2. LowendPhil

LowendPhil

Oct 18, 2013
    350 watts @ 8 ohms, just found answer on Samsontech website.

But how do they come to this value?

Would 1 4x10 cab (400 watts) @ 8 ohms be a bit close to its max?

If amp wasn't maxed out, applying a factor of safety. Say 3/4 full power, would that be okay?

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Well, your math is correct. But it's not that simple in reality.

Your master volume doesn't control your wattage. You just have to use common sense and your ears to hear if the speakers are driven past their maximum.

The only "safety factor" you can apply is keep using your HA3500.
    But you can also use a HA5500 with one cab... "safely", if you keep listening what your speakers are doing.

Why are you asking? I assume you have a HA3500 and one 410 cab and want to upgrade either the amp or adding another cab.

Adding another cab is the best upgrade you can do. Not much benefit will come to you by going with a HA5500.

Even with two of those cabs it's not going to make much difference if you have a HA3500 or HA5500.

I have the HA3500 and a 410XL cab. It is very loud.
    If I need it to go louder I personally can't justify another one of those cabs. They are beginning to get too heavy for me.

(Instead I went with another main rig: Ampeg PF350 and a PF115LF. Other flavor and lighter to carry. But I don't want to get rid of my Hartke rig.)

What's your playing situation? Are you not loud enough on gigs?

4. LowendPhil

LowendPhil

Oct 18, 2013
    Hi Mate,

I have none of the afore mentioned. Its all options available to me. Trying to weigh up the options against each other.

1) 350 head with 4x10 cab (400 watt)

2) 500 head with 2, 4x10 (400 watt each)

2ii) 500 head with just 1, 4x10 cab. (selling 1 cab)

With regards to loudness, the band I have joined will put bass through PA. Its really just for me and practice.

I think I know the answer, but with both options only £50 apart its a close call.

5. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    HA3500 with just one 410 can is what you need. (You'll always have the option in the future to add a second cab.)

Invest in a good DI.
    I actually never used the DI of my HA3500 head so I don't know if it's any good to the PA.

But, if you think you can get a better deal with the HA5500, go with that option. Really not much difference with the HA3500 in your situation.

6. The other part of your question of how those numbers are arrived at. It is actual test conditions, a dead short is 0 ohms resistance or impedance and places the heaviest load on an amp. Any amp without an output transformer (most all SS amps) with no load (~ impedance/resistance no load attached) will not output any power. The 8 ohm/4 ohm or even 2 ohm spec is often rounded off, if the "spec" is 350 at 8 ohms it could be from 326-374 watts and could also depend on supply voltage if using a line frequency power supply (big iron) so it is easier to just round off.