Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 5500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DWBass, Feb 25, 2004.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, I decided to go with this amp. Ordered it from Sam Ash. They had it at the lowest price. $539.00! No tax, no shipping! I will post a review as soon as I get it.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Cool. Let us know how you like it (or even dislike it...).

I almost got that one so I'd be interested in hearing if I made a mistake... :bawl:

Just kidding.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I was looking at the 4000 @ $499.99 but for $40 more, I'd get another 100w and the benefit of the tube-pre and the graphic eq which I probably won't be using that much but that it's there if I need it. I hope to have it by this weekend or the beginning of next week. I'll be trying it out on Friday (Mar.5 next gig) and I'll post reviews. I'm already expecting headroom but I want to see how high on the volume dial I need to go. Didn't have to go past 11 o'clock on the 3000 so I'm hoping less or the same. We'll see.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

OK, I received the amp. I will post a review this weekend after my gig on Friday.

5. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    that amp is sexy. i love hartke... but only the heads with the 10-band..not a fan of the newer designs.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

OK, I received the amp on Wednesday and just fired it up this morning! Firstly, anytime I fire up any of my amps, they just don't seem that loud until I get into a band situation and then it seems to blend in nicely. This amp does seem to have some serious balls to it. I hooked it up to my main rig which are 2 Avatar cabs (a 2x10 and a 1x15). With everything set flat and the eq disabled, it has a very clear defined sound and will reproduce exactly what you put into it. Then I boosted the lows on my bass, boosted the highs, turned the highs up (on the amp) to 2 o'clock and the lows to 3 o'clock and BAM! Whoa! Some serious deep end here! Then, I enabled the eq and boosted the last 2 sliders to about 3/4 up and boosted the first slider about the same.....Holy cow! I then turned on the compressor and set it at 12 o'clock. Very nice even slap sound! Volume was at 12 o'clock which is the norm for me. I forgot about the neighbors so I cut my demo short! I can't wait to try her out tonight at my gig. Will re-report tomorrow.