Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 7000: hissing and intermittent noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    My hartke 7000 is making a whole bunch of noise when the high pass is turned on. the more i turn it past flat, the more noise. the more I turn it to the left of flat, less noise, but still there until it's all the way off, then nothing.

Anyone else ever fix this themselves? Sounds like a bad capacitor maybe? and if it is, which one?

thanks. :help:

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Mine has the same problem...if anybody knows I'd like to know the fix as well...

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    My Hartke 5000 does the same thing...I'll have to try turning the high pass down past 12 O'clock.

I think it's just a hartke thing.

4. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Nah...it didnt always do it. Now it's just plain annoying. The hartke amp i use at the studio is a lower model and whisper quiet. Ive had this unit 14 years now, so stuff is gonna happen.
    I guess Ill pull it apart and let you know.

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Mine is 12 years (1993) so I'd like to know what you find. It drove my producer crazy because we could only limit the amount of hum by playing with the ground lift.

6. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I used to have that hum also and I got it fixed. this is more like a hiss and crackle, totally associated with the treble output and it seems to be getting worse. I'm gonna open it up.

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Any update after you took it apart?

What was the problem with the ground lift problem you had?

8. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I didnt open it up yet, maybe later today.
    I don't remember what caused the hum. I didn't fix it, a repair shop did.

9. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    BUMP for more information on this. PLEASE!!!

My Hartke 7000 is doing the same thing, and it's driving me nuts. ([​IMG] Arrrrrr....) I just bought a brand new PA system and my bass amp is the only thing that makes noise.

It's around 10 years old. I put up with it before, but now I practice through headphones and the buzzing and crackling is too much to stand. By turning down the high pass, I can get rid of it, but I feel that is a band-aid, not a fix. I like some punch to my sound and I need some of that high pass.

If you've taken it somewhere to get it fixed, could you let us know what was wrong and how much it cost to repair it?

Thanks

10. paskisti

paskisti

Jan 20, 2005
    Hartke's high pass controls 10kHz, maybe that's the answer. Read the manual and you can see that high pass is designed to control hissing. There is nothing usefull in 10kHz for bass guitar.