Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 7000 mono?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Sep 24, 2002.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have mien and i love it but i was just wondering if they are 700 watts mono or what?
    thanks guys...

2. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    straight from their site:

350 watts per side at 4 ohms/240 watts per side at 8 ohms. Biamp or mono full range operation...

3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i tried going to their site but my acrobat reader is screwed up and i couldn't get to the text of the manual. so is that 700 watts full range or just 350 altogether when not biamping at 4 ohms?

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a older 7000 and it's not bridgable either!

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I owned one. Not bridgeable. It is 350 watts per side (amp A/Amp B) whether Bi amped or full range.

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Correct. I've had one since 1993 and the (working) design has not changed. The only way to get the full 700 watts is by using two, 4 ohm cabs, one to each side. Doesn't matter whether you're bi-amping or full range.

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    ok thanks guys!

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Ahhhh Haaaaa......Using an 8 Ohm Goliath 4x10 with my 7000 last night....I decided to try the mono (full range) switch. Well, the 4x10 friggin' came alive. I'm not sure why exactly there are bi-amp and mono if they basically do the same thing and the amp can't bridge...but I can say that the little added power I got by turning the mono on was much appreciated.
    A question I have...since there are two seperate-independant amp's in the 7000 and the minimal load is 4 Ohm's.....can/how two cab's of different loads be used? I have the 8 Ohm Goliath and a 4 Ohm 2x15...what is my best way to run this setup?

9. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hey Razor,
    Good to see the amp is working.
    When you say you switched to mono mode while using your 4x10, are you saying you were operating in Bi-Amp mode with just one cab before then?
    If so you were cutting low frequencies off to the cab (if you were plugged into the top/high output) or high frequencies (if you were plugged into the bottom/low output) because the internal crossover was engaged. In mono mode, all frequencies (full range) would be going to all outputs so your cab would definately "come alive".

You have to remember that there are 2 separate power amps in that head so running a 4ohm cab out of one amp and a 8ohm cab out of the other is not a problem, however, since the 4ohm cab has less resistance it may be louder than your 8ohm cab. If this is a problem use the balance control on the amp and turn it towards the output that your 8ohm cab is using. This will increase output to your 8ohm cab and reduce it to your 4ohm cab until you feel they are balanced.

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    As always....my good friend is here to help me out with my troubled mind when it comes to the Hartke!! :D

Thanks for putting it into terms for me that I can finally understand. I was originally using the Goliath 4x10 in the high output jack running bi-amped. I thought something was wrong with the cab because it was distorted and no lows at all....I hit the mono switch and whammmo! all the fullness I could imagine! That one cab was unbelieveably loud and full. FYI the tech replaced a board in the 7000 and completely cleaned the insides up for me. (Not cheap either)
    Another question for you...I have a Big Bertha 2x15 at 4 Ohms I want to use so given the two setup's give me your version of how each should be run...

1. (1) 8 Ohm 4x10 with (1) 4 Ohm 2x15
    and....
    2. (1) 8 Ohm 4x10 with a daisy chained 8 Ohm cab (to get a total 4 Ohm load) with the (1) 4 Ohm 2x15.
    I know that either way I will have signifigantly more cab than power but I am just wanting to make sure that in the meantime I use the bi-amp/mono correctly with multiple cab's. Thanks again for bailing me out my friend!!

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Either configuration will work fine whether in mono or bi-amp mode. Just make sure if you're in bi-amp mode the cab with the higher end (frequency wise/i.e. 4x10 with horn) is powered by the high amp and the Bertha is on the lows amp. If you're in mono mode it won't make a difference.