Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke 7000 or Peavey Firebass 700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lamarjones, Sep 13, 2002.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Anybody checked out both?

I got an ampeg svt 3 pro, and I need something with more juice, good tone, but I don't have that much loot. My cabs are an amped 4x10 bsehlf and and a 410 hse. From what I can tell, a used version of one of these seems to be my best choice under 500. Or maybe not? Anyways, I think I was going the ditch the hse (an 8 ohm, the hlf is a 4 ohm) and get a 2x10.

Any problems, ideas about my plan? Is it retarded? You think getting like an eden 210xlt or something like that would round out the sound a little?

Styles: I play little jazz and funk, and a little rock and punk. Kind of needs to cover most ground.

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Do you like the tone of your SVT III Pro? If so, consider buying a more powerful power amp and just use the preamp section(nice) of the SVT III Pro.

BTW, I have a '94 SVT III Pro which I retired from my stage rig to the studio...I'd never part with it. Not a big fan of the Hartke 7000. I like the Firebass, but IMHO, your current preamp would blow it away, tone-wise. You just need more ooomph.

Kim

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    so true......plan c was to get a qsc plx and go with that. I do like the notion of just carrying around a head, but I think the plx should work great.

I think a while back, there was a thread talking about how LEDs were stupid. Wish I had them last night. All the lights were off, smoke filled the air, and I could not find the friggin Eb to save my life. Luckily, lights come about 1 sec before my cue......

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Actually, that could wind up being the best of both worlds. I used a PLX 1602 with my SVT III Pro and loved it. With your head and a slave amp, you could use both for large gigs, yet still use the Ampeg alone when you don't need to go full tilt. I still use the PLX with my F-1X, although, were I to do it again, I would definitely go for the PLX 2402...less current draw, but more power to run stereo/parallel mono as opposed to bridging.

Kim