Hartke 7000 or Peavy Firebass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassplayerCD86, Dec 26, 2002.

1. BassplayerCD86

BassplayerCD86 Guest

Jan 11, 2001
    Ontario, CA
    Hi, I just recieved a Hartke 7000 for Christmas.

I had asked for a Peavy Firebass, but this amp is more expensive......so here's the age old question....which ones better? is the Hartke worth the extra money, or should I trade it in for a firebass and use the extra cash for something else? Thanks, I really can't test them out, so your personal choices would help me make my decision
  2. Hey, I haven't played either of those actually, but you can find some reviews here http://www.bgra.net/reviews/head-index.html
    Unfortunately there is only one review for the HA7000, but there are about 5 for the firebass. Both seem to get good reviews though. Hope that helps.
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    One thing to consider is the Hartke is not bridgeable, so if you only have one speaker cab it would be the same thing as a hartke 3500, but with an extra unused power amp. The firebass is a mono amp.

Dec 14, 2002
    Firebass kicks ass. I've heard bad things about Hartke reliability and build quality.
  5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I dunno man, I had a Hartke 3500 for 4 or 5 years and I had no trouble with it at all. It was very roadworthy.
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have never owned the Hartke, only tried one briefly, but I did own a Firebass 700II for a couple of years.

The Firebass is a great amp. Built like a tank (like all Peavey stuff), and capable of some pretty cool sounds. I ran mine into an 810tx Peavey cab, and it had plenty of headroom. I was very impressed with it overall.

From what I remember, the Hartke sounded pretty good also. I can't comment on the reliability of them, though, as my experiences are limited to in-store demo-ing only.:)
  7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Honestly, I've never owned or played a Firebass (I did own a Peavey Mark IV head 15+ years ago). I have a Hartke HA7000 now. I can tell you this about it. I really dig the bi-amping feature. Works great if you have (or plan on having) multiple cabs ESPECIALLY if they are different cabs that can handle different frequencies. I have a 1x15 and a 4x10. My 4x10 is prob only good down to 50 or 60ish hz so I use the Hartkes crossover to toss all the extreme lows to the 1x15.

My only complaints: It's not bridgable (neither is the Firebass because it's a mono amp) and it's not extremely warm, meaning it sounds very bright and in your face (solid state). Even though it has a tube preamp, it still does not sound very tube-like. I occasionally want that warm sound as opposed to the in-your-face hard rock sound which the Hartke is a little lacking.

Reliability - No issues here and it's been tossed around a bit. I had a Hartke HA3500 for a while and that thing fell off of my full stack once or twice (roughly a 5+ foot drop) and never blinked. So I would say that they are damn reliable IMHO!
  8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i had the hartke 7000 until just recently and it really is a great amp! it takes a little getting used to the EQ but aside from that you can get any tone you want out of it literally. ample volume too! never had any reliability issues with it except a tube that went microphonic after about 4 years or so. keep it and forget the peavey! :)
  9. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i've never played the firebass, but i have a hartke 5000--same as 7000 but 250+250; I got it because I wanted to bi-amp and I wanted tonal versatility. With both SS and Tube pre-amps whitch you can mix together you get many options; the biamp controls also give great versatility--i run mine into a ampeg pr1528-he, 1-15" at a 45 degree angle topped by two 8" + horn--sweeping between the high and low frequency outputs really gives a lot of tonal flexibility. I don't use the graphic eq much--just added a yamaha ne-1 semi-parametric pre to the rig--i set the cut right at the crossover frequncy. Can't speak to the road worthiness as i don't gig. Currently the Fender 300T Tube head has caught my ears--what a growling MONSTER!
  10. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    aThe Hartke heads had reliability issues when they first came out. They have since sorted out the problems and offer good reliability.

I much prefer the tone of the Hartke. Those heads really sound good when you install a better tube in them.

I'd keep the Hartke.

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hmmm, I'll have to try that. Chuck, I'm looking for a "warmer" tube to give my Hartke less of a solid state sound. What do you reccomend? Thx
  12. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    What would you suggest for a tube? Is that something you would suggest doing yourself or having a tech do it? thanks
  13. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have the Hartke 5000. It is a good head and quite loud. As others have already stated, it may take some work to adjust the eq the way you like, but you should be able to get a sound you like out of it.
  14. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Almost any NOS USA tube would be a big improvement in tone over the Sovtek (IIRC) that they come with. It is easy to replace the tube yourself.

Unplug the amp. Remove the top. The tube has a metal retainer that keeps it securely in the socket. Loosen the screw for the retainer and then rotate the retainer out of the way. Remove the tube and install the new tube. You must be careful to properly align the tube pins and the socket. It is easy. Just look carefully at the tube and the socket to insure that you have them indexed to each other before you push the tube into the socket. Secure the tube retainer and reinstal the top. Enjoy.

I would try a Sylvania 12AX7(A/7025) in the Hartke. This tube is frequently seen marked RCA or Philips. Groove Tubes also sold the tube marked "GT 12AX7A". However, some of the GT 12AX7A's are GE's. The GE's would also sound good but are not as warm sounding as the Sylvania's.

Email me if you need more info.

15. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Thanks for the info! The stock tube sounds a little "hissy" to me, and i generally bury the tube preamp on "10" to get the tube growl--maybe i'll try a differnt one.

PS--they still got that SmokeHouse Restraunt out by the Highway in New Braunfels? Ate there a couple of times years back.
  16. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    What he said...

I have the HA5000 with SWR WM2x10 and 1x15 cabs. The bridging works great for me. Keep in mind that the 7000 is 350x350 only at 4ohms PER SIDE. It comes down to 240 at 8ohms per side. Still a lot of watts for 650 bucks.

Good Luck
  17. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hartke 7000 is essentially a 3500 with stereo power section. Lots of good talk about 3500 around, I personally love mine - especially the EQ.