1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke 8 x 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lizardking837, Oct 28, 2020.

1. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Hey guys,

A Hartke 8 x 10 recently became available near me and I was curious if anyone here has any experience with that particular cab?

I will provide more information as I comes from my bandmates.

2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I used one at a rehearsal studio. The studio backline was the Hartke 8x10 with an Ampeg B2R 350 watt amp. We are a loud band and I was pushing the cab and it started to fart and buzz. I thought I blew one of the speakers but it seems that the amp was probably clipping and couldn't handle the cab. I plugged my Mesa WD800 amp into it the buzz was gone, just awesome kickass bass, I was duly impressed but I wouldn't want to lug that beast around to gigs.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Heavy Blue and mikewalker like this.
  3. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Makes sense. I did some more research and got in touch with the seller. I'm gonna pass on it.

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Hartke had two models, the 810XL and the Hydrive 810. Both are sealed cabinets and both are discontinued from production. If you do a search here on TB, you will find lots of knee-jerk hate for Hartke in general, but don't let that put you off.

810XL
    800 watts capability, 4 ohms load, 145 lbs, no tweeter. 1/4" input instead of Speakon connector is a miss in my book for that wattage.
    http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/legacy_docs/810XL_ownman.pdf

Hydrive 810

2000 watts capability, 4 ohms load, 132 lbs. (neodymium speakers). Both 1/4" and Speakon connectors, tweeter attenuation switch.
    http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/legacy_docs/HydriveCabs_OM_5L_v1.pdf

If you can deal with the size and weight, and the price is right, why not?

Winoman, jeff7bass and mikewalker like this.
  5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Pretty standard and just as common IME back in the 80'/90's as the SVTs for backline. Usually paired with an 800/400RB.

mikewalker likes this.
  6. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Yeah, it looks its either an XL or XV. If it were a hydrive I would have pursued it.

7. 6thplanet

6thplanet Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Indiana
    B031633D-6A82-4602-966A-B104B81EE2FD.jpeg
    I scored this one for $280, robbed it of the drivers, sold the empty cab for $35 (price of a sheet of plywood)

Johnny Crab, tubatodd and mikewalker like this.
  8. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Dang I run a GK Fusion MB, it's the one that doesn't have a speakon so I decided to pass on it

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    mikewalker likes this.
  10. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

Wouldn’t happen to be Audio Alley would it? I was going to mention this as well and had the same exact experience with that head and cab, left we wishing I brought my rig instead of using that back line!

dbase likes this.
  11. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    You got it ... ha. Lou wasn't happy when I told him that I blew one of the speakers. The following week I used my own head and it was sounded fine.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  12. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

Good to know if I ever find myself back there I know to bring a head with me!

13. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    What band are you in, I probably know you

14. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Hartke is good, but what series ?

15. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    Its no fridge. Whats the price?

16. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    New hydride? Orleans, old aluminum? The aluminum ones are loud, and tight, but kinda thin sounding. But, there's 8 of them, so you should be good. The hydrive speakers are just okay. More mellow, but can't take the hit.

17. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    You can get a speakon to 1/4 inch speaker cable

rodl2005 likes this.
  18. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    My fusion would take a 1/4 inch in the speakon.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  19. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    The hydrive would be fine.

20. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Unless it is very cheap (like $200) I would look for a used ampeg 810. They are dirt cheap used.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021