Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hartke 810 xl cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jjs, Jan 31, 2003.

1. jjs

jjs

Jan 26, 2003
    czech republic
    hi,
    i have a questions concerning hartke speakers. I have bought hartke 810 xl cabinet (runing through WM 4004) and because of the clean and punchy sound and also because of the price (price in czech republic 50 000 Kè = 1 600 $) i considered hartke as the "top quality". than i found this great web (really great! - full of helpful information) where lot of people are complaining of the metal speakers reliability - speakers can be easilly blown out, especially in cold weather. :confused:

1. what does it mean "cold weather"? should i avoid using this cab at spring and summer outside music-festivals, when the temperature is about 10 C at night?
    2. is there any chance how to protect speakers in this case?
    3. does anybody have bad/good experience with this cab?

thanx a lot for responses
    JJS

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I don't think that this is as much of an issue with Hartke speakers as it was say 10-12 years ago. I think the speakers are more durable now. I actually had it happen with a Hartke speaker back in 1991. The 4x10 Cabinet had been stored in a trailer outside (along with the PA equipment). The change in temperature from being outside to moving the cabinet inside and immediately hooking it up may have caused the problem. The dealer that I bought a replacement from told me that I needed to let the speakers adjust to the new temperature before pushing them too hard. He also told me that this was something that Hartke had mostly addressed and I should not have the problem with the replacement speaker (again this was 1991) but I may have it with the other older speakers in the cab.
    I have heard of others with the same problem with older Hartke speakers but not with newer ones (but I also live in Mississippi where the temperature does not get low very often).