1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke amp anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chimaera1982, Apr 7, 2006.

1. chimaera1982

chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    Am interested in getting a hartke head and cab rig to replace my current one (Ibanez SW 65). I stay in Singapore and its not easy to get good bass amps at reasonable price. Theres a store that recently started to stock hartke amps. Am interested in getting the HA 2500 (280 USD) and the VX 210 cab with the tweeter(240 USD). Is this a good deal? Any comments on the amp and cab? Ive personally tried it with the korean Dean basses they sell there n sounds good. Thick deep tone to my ears. Any comments, am using an MTD Beast 4 as my main bass.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Are those brand new prices? If so, they are fair. Hartke makes good gear. I used a Hartke amp and cabs for a couple years with no problems.

-Mike

3. I use the HA3500. Almost the identical to the 2500. I love the simple lay-out of the front panel and the graphic EQ. And the compressor is also a great feature.
    I have a VX410 underneath and it has never let me down. I played over 30 gigs with it without any problems. I also take it to rehearsal every saturday and it never failed on me. It's not a top brand, but it gives you a lot for the money.

4. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Use a Hartke 4000 amp and it gets heavy use has been reliable , no problems at all. I use hartkes 4200 4x10 cab - it has alum. speakers so I have no exper with the cab you are looking at.

5. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I have an HA5500 and a 115xl both work great. Prices sound fair.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've moved-up to nice pro-gear since back in my earlier days. I used to run a little dollar-per-watt, 110-watt Hartke "Transient Attack" - like 'student' head, with their cheaper-line aluminum-cone 4X10 bottom.

Now I run GK and JBL. I get great tone now, but dang-it: there was a certain growliness from that little thing when you'd crank it up a bit that I still miss! ..A certain raspy rawness that didn't sound clipped at all; just aggressive.

I already have two overdrives on my pedal board, and I can't get that sound out of either, or any combination of them. I kind of wonder if that little $99 Hartke Bass Attack pedal will do it for me...

..Or I could switch back to Hartke. ...NO WAY, I can't - I've bragged way-too-much about my GK now! Maybe the Bass Attack'll do it for me.

Joe

7. chimaera1982

chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    Very interesting replies so far,.. thanks a lot. Seems like the hartke sounds like a good bang for the buck amps. In singapore getting Ampeg/SWRs means seriously BIG bucks. The hartke amp prices stated above are for new amps. At the price range theres also a GK backline series though i havent reading good reviews on HC. Another bass at the hartke price range is the Ashdown MAG series.
    Between the Hartke/Ashdown MAG and the GK back line which one would you choose? Am more inclined to the Hartke because of the graphic EQ and the built in compressor.

8. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Hartke's cool. I had a 3500 that I recently sold and am starting to miss (just a bit :)) I have to say that I wasn't fond of the Hartke cabs that I tried in the store, but that's my only experience. If you're looking for a gigable setup, try to find a 3500 (though a 2500 would probably be fine for most small to medium gigs) because you may need the extra wattage depending on the loudness of the music you play and the gear of your fellow bandmates.

Also, if you're looking for a one cab solution, a 2x10 might not move enough air (i.e. create enough volume). Though a 2x10 paired with a 1x15 or 2x12 or another 2x10 is certain to handle almost any live situation. If you are looking for a one cab solution, try a 2x12 or 4x10. If possible, it should be a 4 ohm cab so you can max the wattage from the amp to get the best tone. Only get a 4 ohm cab if you're certain that your head can handle a 4 ohm load (the 2500 can) and that the cab will loud be enough for your situation.

If you have questions about Hartke amps and cabs or about what will best for you in terms of cab configuration do a search in this forum and check the FAQ. Hope that helps.

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Ashdown's better by a longshot over both the GK backline and the Hartke stuff.

Hartke would come in second.

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Fixed it for you. :p

Thanks for taking so much trouble to justify your statement. :rolleyes: