Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hartke amp....anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mrx41862, May 16, 2002.

1. Hi...I'm lookin to buy a small practice amp for home and possibly port around to small gigs and friends houses to jam. Someone recommended a Hartke kickback 12 which is about the right size, but I haven't gotten to play one yet....any one use one , or any other suggestions, and I'll make out my list and take it to the store with me and spend the day trying amps...thanks in advance

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i had the hartke kick back 10 and 12. the 10 had amp issues and then the speaker blew on the 12 too easily. i didn't even turn it up that loud, so i had bad luck with both of them. that was a few years ago. i personally don't like the tone of aluminum cones. i think their cardboard speakers sound great in their combos. you can get a decently loud one for under $400. genz benz and tube works make some great combos in the same price range. behringer also has a new 120 watt 12 for under $300. The swr LA series are decent considering how cheap they are. you should mention your price range...

3. oh yeah ok I mean if I found something I liked alot I'd spend around 500-600...but I'd rather go in the 300-350 range, Size is one of the crucial matters to me. I don't play out alot, mostly do home recording, but a few friends of mine have started getting together and invited me to play, so I'd like something with enough kick to get that job done too.

4. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    i'd recommend trying the ampeg rocketbass series (B50R or B100R) Very nice tone, punchy and loud for their size and wattage. The B100R, which i own, sells for $450, but its a great amp for that price.
    -nik

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What you want is an SWR Workingman's 12.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Carvins are relativly inexpensive and well within your price range, and IMO sound just as good as the SWR's and Ampegs in the same price range.

click me - carvin combo amps