Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joey_three, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Joey_three

Joey_three

Mar 20, 2005
    Hey guys i wanna get a new amp so i can play at gigs and i was told by a few people that hartke are the way to go.But personnaly i don't think much of them cause i have been told alot of bad stuff about them aswell I would like to know your opinion about them.do you think i would be better buying a second hand amp instead. the only problem is i don't think that there are any shops in the uk that sell second hand amps.

TY :bassist:

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I think Hartke's older stuff is a little better than their new stuff. Pick out one with a tube preamp and you'll probably be fine.

Maybe try UK ebay for used stuff. I've bought most of my gear (head, cabs, a few pedals) from ebay this round.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had an older 3500 that worked perfectly. I gigged with it for two years, and the only thing I ever did was replace the preamp tube. Even then, it was only to see if I could get a different tone from the amp.

-Mike

4. I've played through some Hartke's; namely the 3500 and 5000. I thought they were just fine.

Went with a Peavey Pro 500, though. Liked the sound of it a bit more than the Hartke's, and I got it for an incredible price.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm not a huge Peavey fan, but given the price range and the similarity of equipment, I'll take a Peavey over Hartke almost every time.

6. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I bought a 3500 new in '91 or '92 and put it through years of 5-6 nights a week. Only thing I've had to do was chang the preamp tube every 2-3 years. I use it as a backup. Solid.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Hartke is okay, but I find their aluminum coned speakers harsh & brittle sounding, not to mention if you blow them, you'll kill your audience with shrapnel.