1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joey_three, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Joey_three

Joey_three

Mar 20, 2005
    Hey guys i wanna get a new amp so i can play at gigs and i was told by a few people that hartke are the way to go.But personnaly i don't think much of them cause i have been told alot of bad stuff about them aswell I would like to know your opinion about them.do you think i would be better buying a second hand amp instead. the only problem is i don't think that there are any shops in the uk that sell second hand amps.

TY :bassist:

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I think Hartke's older stuff is a little better than their new stuff. Pick out one with a tube preamp and you'll probably be fine.

Maybe try UK ebay for used stuff. I've bought most of my gear (head, cabs, a few pedals) from ebay this round.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had an older 3500 that worked perfectly. I gigged with it for two years, and the only thing I ever did was replace the preamp tube. Even then, it was only to see if I could get a different tone from the amp.

-Mike

4. I've played through some Hartke's; namely the 3500 and 5000. I thought they were just fine.

Went with a Peavey Pro 500, though. Liked the sound of it a bit more than the Hartke's, and I got it for an incredible price.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm not a huge Peavey fan, but given the price range and the similarity of equipment, I'll take a Peavey over Hartke almost every time.

6. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I bought a 3500 new in '91 or '92 and put it through years of 5-6 nights a week. Only thing I've had to do was chang the preamp tube every 2-3 years. I use it as a backup. Solid.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Hartke is okay, but I find their aluminum coned speakers harsh & brittle sounding, not to mention if you blow them, you'll kill your audience with shrapnel.