Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke amps/combos - incredibly noisy fans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wibbley, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Wibbley

Wibbley

Jul 17, 2002
    Banjo City
    Hello all!

I just had a second hand Hartke 2115 combo delivered (basically as I understand it a 2000 head plus 1 x 15 speaker) and have been playing around with it at home. My question is simply this - is the fan supposed to be so loud on the amp? I've played with various combos and amps in my time (generally small scale stuff for the pub gigs I do) and none have been remotely this loud. It makes it very difficult to imagine recording with this thing, unless the volume was really cranked way up. Is this the way these things are built, or have I just got a duff one?

Cheers

Guy

2. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I have a hartke 3500 head, and I haven't noticed any excessive fan noise. The fan might be unbalanced, try cleaning the blades and seeing if that helps any. Works on computer fans.

Good luck

3. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I have a 7000 and the fan was making a whirring sound. If you can imagine that. ;)

I had Hartke send me a replacement. Cost about $15.00. Although the new one is quieter, it still makes that noise. I am going to order another one that is a little heavier duty and ultra quiet from an online dealer.

http://www.radiatron.co.uk/pr/f40.html

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you can buy a fan at a computer repair shop. they are the same thing, it will be cheaper and quicker to get installed.

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I have a HA4000 and the fan seems to be quiet, I mean, never heard any soundman complaining about any noise of my amp.

6. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    The noise does'nt come through the amp/speakers. It's just the fan itself. Not audible when playing through the amp since it gets drowned out. I view it as being more nit picky during the quiet times. :D

7. Wibbley

Wibbley

Jul 17, 2002
    Banjo City
    Yes, it's nitpicky in a gigging situation, but for recording in a home studio it's much more of a problem. The reason I lug the thing up three flights of stairs after every gig is that I wanted something more solid than the DI sound. At normal non-neighbour-hating levels the noise bleeds into the mic even when it's right up against the grille.

Anyway, I phoned the main Hartke dealers here in London, and they said they could replace the fan for £30 (about 45 US dollars), but also suggested installing an additional fan and setting both to run at half speed. Does this (latter) option sound viable to all you experts out there?

Cheers

Guy

8. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've had a 7000 since 1993 and I've never heard the fan.

10. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I can hear my 3500's fan when I'm not playing, but when I am it's dead quiet.

11. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Mine's fairly loud, but I don't mic my amp when recording, so it's not a problem.

Interesting suggestion about replacing it with a computer fan- I'll have to look into that.