Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Dec 30, 2003.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    From the first day I plugged in a bass, I played a Hartke 3500 amp. I sold it not too long ago. I thought I needed the power/pre set-up.

I never had a problem with my 3500. It sounded great, put out plenty of power for my 215. Solid performer everyday. I wish I had kept it now.

-Mike

2. I used the HA3000 for practice with my band (borrowed) for about a year and I've been very satisfied with it.

If you check www.thomann.de, you can get the same cab but with a 3500 head for less money than if you'd buy it with a 3000 in a local store.. I think I wanna have that rig (HA3500+410).

3. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I've been wanting to try out the 3500 and I'm gald to hear your opinion, MJ.

4. That top amplifier is a great amp for the price. I own one and am satisfied with it. Pumps with 5 and six strings real well too. It's loud/powerful, very reliable for the price, and it's easy to operate meaning it doesn't take rocket science to figure out how to use it.

I'd consider finding other speaker cabinets to use the hartke 3500 with; you will not get the most from the amp with the speakers that are matched with it. Options as far as other cabs: Avatar Speakers, Peavey cabs, yorkville. Either way, a 4x10 cab is a good choice. Versatile, hhas enough lows and definetely has more definition than 15's.

However I have played through the same setup as well, it aint bad, but I can pull out a hell of a lot more juice from the amp when i use a peavey 410 TX instead of a hartke VX410. Use your ears.

5. lowfreqfreak

lowfreqfreak

Jul 1, 2001
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses, GHS Strings
    I have a hartke 3500 and a 4.5xl cab. With my Genz Benz 15, my sound is perfect...takes away some of the "aluminum-ness". I bought both hartke items used and have had no problems whatsoever. I heard that hartke heads are rugged and i honestly believe it. I've had my stuff for over 3 years and it all works just like new. My only complaint about the 3500 is the compressor sucks...but hey what do you want for $300, right?

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

you might want to step up to the hartke 4000,i,ve used both and the 4000 is much more reliable. {since the 4000 is 4ohm , two 8ohm avatars would probably sound real nice...}
    it's a great sounding,affordable head :cool:

7. Thanks alot for all the answers!
    However, you are all talking about the hartke 3500. What's the difference between 3500 and 3000? I'm quite stupid when it comes to this things. I've never actually taken me the time to learn anything like that, I've just played my bass. And i regret that now...Well, thanks once again, I appreciate all your help!

8. I'm very satisfied with my two HA3500's.

Even though some might say it's " only " 350 watts, the Hartke 3500 produces godzilla output even with the volumeknob open 1/3rd. I can't even turn the knob past 1/3rd on the one that feeds my 1x18", because it would probably trash the entire house :p

One thing about them.. the hartke 2500 / 3500 / 5000 / 7000 has a big fan for cooling, so if you turn it on for the first time don't get scared about the sound. The fans are quite noisy, but you replace it with a more silent one ( = $5 ), or be a real man and suck it down " as is ".

I don't have experience with the hartke VX cabs, but overall hartke cabs are very decent ones.

I'd say go for it dude ! Give in to the hartke ! :D

9. appler

appler Guest

They sound great for the money. I have the 2000 head. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to return it since I can't bring my stack anywhere and it isn't getting much use. Anyway, it sounds pretty good and you can tweak it a lot with the graphic EQ. Tube preamp sounds awesome. My only problem with it is I have trouble getting rid of that *boxy* sound sometimes. Maybe it's the cabinets. I say go for it.
    Edit: I forgot to mention the loud fan. But hey, at least you know it's not overheating, right? And like Allodox said, it's cheap to get a quieter one if it bothers you.

10. The backside of that is that the Peavey cabs are about 439EUR while the Hartke cab is only 375EUR.. does the loudness/sound compensate that difference? :)

11. Check the specs at hartke.com: The 3000 has 300w, and a 4-band EQ, while the 3500 has 350w, a selectable tube preamplifier and a 10-band graphic EQ. If you need any of these functions explained, just ask!

No need to regret, you can easily pick up on all that techie stuff here at talkbass ;).

By the way, people: I've got a q about the 3500 head. Tube amps are considerably more powerful than solid-state amps, right? Does the "tube preamp" mean that this is valid for the 3500 as well?

12. Thanks once again for all the help.
    Well, the 3500 has 350 watts and the 3000 only have 300. Does that make a big difference on the vx410 cab? And the tube preamp. Is that important?

13. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hi, I played a 3500 for about 5 years, and the thing never broke down! No matter what I did to it (and I did alot), it just kept on going. Bottom line: very solid, very reliable, great sounding, fairly cheap, go for it.

The 50 watts wont make SO much of a difference in terms of sound, but just remember, the extra power of the 3500 will always be there if/when you need it. As far as the preamp goes, it's all up to preference. The tube preamp sound is a little warmer and less mechanical sounding than solid state. I loved blending the tube and solid state amps on my 3500 to get the perfect sound. The 10 band graphic EQ also is great... you can dial in almost any sound you want.

If you want my advice, get that setup, and you won't be dissapointed.

14. I've owned a Hartke 3500 for about 4 years...It's broken down on me once(and is still broken, but I'm getting it fixed)...They're awesome heads, the Tube and Solid State pres are awesome for selecting your sound, the compressor's pretty much useless, but it can even everything out when you're worried with pushin the power section too hard...The 10 band graphic is extremely flexible, allows for even the more picky or people to select a good mix for themselves, and their band.
    I was anti hartke for about...a month...But I've found a shop to fix it...I'ss all good now, LOL:D

Peace
    DWB

15. That's why you buy used gear. Bottom line is, The peavey will hold up a hell of a lot better over time than any hartke VX cab.

16. I've had the same hartke 3500 head for 10yrs. Played out a ton w/ it and it still works great. Sounds very good for the money.
    As mentioned the 10band EQ is very useful for dialing in, the comporessor is worthless, and for me the contour knobs are also a nice added touch (very useful).
    To me, I've not noticed much tonal difference between the tube and solid state pre's but they both sound good and when mixed together they still sound good.
    I've not used the HA3000, so no opinion there.
    frank

17. Ok, thanks guys! I'm getting the 3500 and the vx cab. It's on a sale, and I get it damn cheap...So I'm looking forward to get rid of my 35watt ephiphone combo!