Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke and Acme?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fast slapper, Feb 4, 2002.

1. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I'm going on a budget of $1,000 and I found that the Acme B2 and Hartke 4000 are both about $500. I've heard the Hartke before and it sounded great for the price.(VERY LOUD!) To me it seems like it should push the Acme to decent volumes. Would you think the Hartke would run out of headroom quickly with the Acme? Is there another setup for $1,000 that would beat this one?

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, take my bias into account, 'cause I don't care for Hartke amps much, but ... if I were you I'd get a Carvin R1000 ($649) and bridge it into an Acme 8 ohm cab which would give you about 700 W. You might be tempted to get the R600 and bridge it into a 4 ohm cab, but my advice, from bitter experience, is DON'T. I know on paper it looks like it should work, but I had big problems with that combo. I'm morally sure you wouldn't have my problems with the first combo I described.

I think the Carvin is a way better amp than the Hartke, but that's just one man's opinion.

An Eden wt-800 would sound great too, but it costs way more.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think you will run out of headroom with the Hartke!
    The Acmes really need juice for the sound to bloom....
    Aloha, Jerry

4. I love Hartke but would choose an amp w/ more watts 4 only a little more money. These guys are all about the bass and wouldn't steer you wrong !! The Hartke 400 has 400 watts while the Carvin has 700. I would take 300 watts more (almost doubled what the hartke is 700 -V- 400 watts.

5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I know Acme's are known for their huge sound, but what about Epifani and Bergantino? Could they produce the same bass as the Acme's? For example, with 1000 watts through the Acme 2x10 it's going to sound huge right since there know for producing the sound of a 15 or 18 inch. If you put the same watts through a Epif 2x12 or Berg 2x12 will they produce the same bass as the 2x10?

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    "If you put the same watts through a Epif 2x12 or Berg 2x12 will they produce the same bass as the 2x10"

No. They will get a hell of a lot louder though. Nothing that I know of can do what the Acmes can do if thats what you want. But, they do not sound "modern" at all.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have the Bergantino 2/12 and it smokes my Acmes! The Acmes are great sounding small cabinets, But IMHO they don't have any throw!