Hartke. Any good??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigdavis_08, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    My friend always tells me how much he likes Hartke. I'm thinking of getting the Hartke Kickback 10 Bass Combo Amp anybody know if this would do good w/ my ESP Viper?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think Hartke is pretty good. The amps like 3500, 5500, and 7000 sound good and are reliable.

On the other hand, I can't say much for the Kickbacks. You're not likely to get a satisfying tone out of them. OK to futz around on, I suppose.
  3. I can never get enough volume from my Kickback 12 to compete with my church's choir/praise team & band. It works great for upright or small settings, but when it gets loud, I can only hear mids & distortion. As heavy as it is, I wish it were louder. I tried a Behringer BX-1200- it seemed louder & I liked the tone better, but it cut out past 1/2 volume, so I returned it (props to Matt @ The Tweed Hut!). I think I just don't like the aluminum speakers, but bigger is usually better, IME.
  4. As is always the case, it depends on what you are planning on using the unit for. I had the 15" model a few years ago and while it was ok for practice and very, very small club gigs, there's no way it could compete with a full band and the band going full boar. I would tend to think that the 10" model would probably not be very loud, but can't say for sure. As far as reliability, I've never had a problem with Hartke. I have a 3500 head and the only problem with it is a broken main volume pot... and that wasn't the amps fault.
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hartke amps are okay IME, but don't waste your time and money with the Hartke speakers. Unless you like blowing cones clear across the stage. :)
  6. I'd stay away from their '2nd' line...ie, transporter series, vx series, as well as the kickbacks if you have any thoughts about moving air. Their Pro series and XL are decent...and I've owned both w/ no problems - albeit I ran a HA7000 NOT a Crown K2!
  7. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I have a Hartke 4000 head and a Hartke 2200 2x12 and I havnt had any problems. Any problems I have heard about Hartke speakers were usually from peeps who pushed them too hard. I have considered getting a 12" kickback for travel/bedroom practicing/possible monitoring ( bonus points for the headphone jack) addition to my standard "rig" ( if it can be called that...lol) I tried out the 10", the 12" and the 15" and prefered the sound of the 12" the most.

Its such a subjective question really, what kind of music do you play, how loud do you typically play ( or plan on playing), Is size/weight an issue, etc......

IME, In general for any purchase your best bet is to go out and try as many different brands/speaker configurations as possible and base your decision with your own ears as you are the only qualified person to tell if a cab/amp/bass gives a "good" sound, nevermind the fact that you are likely the one who will be paying for it.

Good luck and dont be a lemming ;)
  8. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I have a Kickback 10. I use it as a personal stage monitor when I play in church. It does that very well. I can put it right in front of me pointed up at my face. That is all it is good for other than playing around the house or in a practice setting though. It does not have enough punch to cut through in a loud live band setting unless you are going to XLR out of it into a PA.
  9. IMO the 2200 is THE best sounding cabinet in Hartke's lineup. I used to use 2 of them w/ an HA 7000. They have casters and I used to pull the two rear ones out and the cab sat perfectly angled. That was a nice sounding rig for the $$$, as those cabs can be had for new anywhere from $349-$399. (I'd buy one again if I needed a 3rd rig! ha!)
  10. I owned (until about two weeks ago) and played a Kickback ten for over a year (probably two). It was a better than average practice amp and I loved the sounds you can get from it. If you use it with a five string (as I did) you'll probably be disappointed in not being to get as loud as you can with a four string ( the speaker will reproduce a 5 but at much lower volume before distorting). I also loved the portability factor. At gigs i struggled hearing myself (sometimes) and ended up getting a Hartke 210 cab and unplugging the combo speaker and just using the 210. I even made a speaker wire that split the signal so I could play the internal speaker and the 210 cab (a 3-10 rig at apprx 200watts) and never - ever had a problem with heating up the amp by going to 4 ohms. I ended up trading up to a bigger rig because I wanted (NEEDED!) more power. Also since I found myself always using the combo and the 210 it defeated the "portability factor" which was the reason I bought it to begin with.
  11. lowbstringer

Oct 11, 2004
    Jackson N.J.
    I have a Hartke 3500 head and a VX 410 cabinet. I LOVE IT !!!
    alot of people are bad mouthing the cabinet about blowing cones , I dont feel that way. My cabinet sounds great and I have had it about a year. The only problem I had with it was I had to replace the female jack on the back of thecabinet for theamp jack. Other than that I have had no problems. I play out live on stage 2-3 times EVERY WEEK .