1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DbNBassist, Aug 18, 2007.

1. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    I know there is alot of Hartke hate around, especially for their cabinets. Now I love my hartke cabs i think they sound amazing, and they are the paper cones! Post your Hartke rigs/heads/cabinets and the such. I will post mine as soon as i can!!!

LET THE FRENZY BEGIN!!!!

2. the reason i took the head out of the combo was because it is easier to move the cabinet, and head. i have the head sitting in a pvc housing i built for it. also the GK cab now has casters on it. sot it isnt 100% Hartke, its 66.6%. the head and 1x15 are, the bottem is a 2x10 GK.

a lot of people say that this isnt a good rig, but i got it fairly cheap. And i made sure to test everything before i bought it.
    i got the head and the 1x15 in the 2115 combo for $250 at a local guitar store. i got the GK cab at guitar center for $50!!! BRAND NEW! my friend was buying a new line 6 guitar head, for $400 or something i think i wasnt paying much attention. but i told him to tell the salesmen that he would only buy it if the GK was $50. so that is how i got it so cheap. $300 total for this, sounds great, is very loud.

i would have used image shack but it was being so slow

Attached Files:

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    My practice rig is a Music Man HD130 head with a Hartke 410XL cab. To my ear, the Hartke has a lot of "personality."

I just wish it weighed more like 25 lb so I could take it to gigs.:D

4. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Heads- I had trouble dialing in any degree of "warmth" with the 5000 head. It just doesnt do "eden". Not a fault per se. That said, it NEVER let me down, and had nice crossover features and seemd fairly rated wattage-wise. Solid.

I hear the 3500 has a more pleasing tone profile. I never heard one.

Cabs- 210xl, I dont recall... Too long ago and too little time with it. 210TP and 115tp- You can keep them. NIce and light, and in that respect they were slightly ahead of much of the pack, but the 210 tp had little else going for it imo. Coulnt handle its rated power even un-eq'd, had weak (read, NO) lows and harsh highs. clangy , harsh mids.

the 115xl- IMO a very underrated 115 cab. Nice smooth low end, more so than much of what I have tried. Not booming, more smooth down low. Didnt get great upper mids or highs, of course. Built like a truck, but weighs close to one as well. Just on the upper end of easily portable IMO. A little thinner, a little taller, add a small midrange, and use 1/2 instead of 3" MDF (j/k) and it'd be considered "boutique". These can be found real inexpensive as well... Nice bang for the buck, and then some. There's my HArtke love. :D

5. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    In 1995 I had 2 XL410s (power rating: 240w) and a XL115.
    I really liked the 410 stack. Too bad my amp at the time (SWR ST220) produced only 140w at 8 ohms. So I always had to carry the whole 2x 410 stack to move some air.
    BUT THE SOUND!!! not sterile at all!

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have owned a couple of 3500 heads. I changed the preamp tubes out and was very pleased with the result. My only complaint is the fan is as loud as a motel air conditioner.

7. can you guys share some of your eq settings? i made 3 settings that iv wrote down. i could share them if someone wants them. but it took me a while to get those 3(i dialed them in perfectly)

i think that all the Hartke heads are the same excepted the wattage, but all the features are the same(number of knobs, compression, 10 band eq)

so could you share some settings you really like to use? i just want a general idea, like a frame for me to perfect on my amp. so share if you have some decent ones?

8. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk
    HA5500 hartke head, 2X15XL cab here. this things a monster.

IMHO...
    transporter series... great bang for the buck. great for starter, learner, beginner or home practice cab.

vx series....economic, giggable

xl series ....fully giggable if matched to good head. their 2x10 or 4x10 aluminum (matched with a 15 or 18 for subs) add great SIZZLE. don't cut them short.

paper or aluminum speakers? a matter of personal preference.

their service? i've personally never had a failure (warranty or otherwise). can't comment there. never had to use it, so i guess thats ok. i've read both good and bad experiences from others.

FWIW, my hartke opinion. :bag:

9. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    I have a 2.5XL that I use over the 115XL. A very underrated set up.

10. I DON'T have one....never liked 'em much in early-mid '90's-but I later found that was due to the bassists I heard using 'em EQ-ing 'em to sound tinny & thin & clanky(seemed to be "in" then-eeeewww!!!). But since....I've used 'em as backline at a cuppla gigs & have been able to get a good sound outta 'em(always the one's w/ a tube & S.S. pre). I've also known guys that've used 'em regularly & they've been reliable & great. They seem great value ATM too!!!!!!!

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hartke 5500 and 3000 owner here. Have had zero problems to report. Both have provided me serious rumble so no complaints! I don't like the sound of the cabs but they look good.

12. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm interested in what the HA5500 sounds like. I've heard many people praise it, but I've never found one to test out. Anyone got some sound clips? :)

13. I use to own an 4.5XL and still own a 115XL. Both are really great cabinets.

14. intrglctcrevfnk

intrglctcrevfnk

Aug 19, 2007
    New poster here.....

Just blew up my 3500 after 10 years of solid use!!! Left the speaker output plugged into the effects send jack!:bawl:

Could of possibly repaired it for some major $$, but I decided to upgrade!
    Got the HA7000 and love it! Like two of my old amps in one!

I run a VX410 and just ordered a VX210 today!
    Ive also got a old peavey 410 that I got back when I got my old 3500 (but didnt like the aluminum cones then)...

Customer Service at samson I give a 7....moderate.

But I love the gear! After 10 years its my sound! Tried some other cabs after the 3500's untimely death, but couldnt find my sound!

15. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    Yeah, that's the only thing that bothered me about my 3500. It was almost embarassing to turn it on. Loved the sound though. would still be using it if I didn't lose it in a fire. (bought a markbass). Crystal clear, fat, quick punchy tone with my Fender P and 410xl + 115xl

16. slagbass

slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    My rig of choice is 2 older 240w 410XLs driven by an iAmp600. Sounds great and plenty of volume - I can get by with one cabinet as long as there is good PA support.
    It's curious that in the 80's, everybody was dumping their 70's SVTs to get a GK RB800 and a couple of Hartke cabs. Now the 70's SVTs are considered the holy grail. Fashion, I guess....

17. RMBBE

RMBBE

Nov 9, 2006
    i have a hartke 3500 head running into a hartke 410xl. could not be happier. relatively inexpensive next to almost all other brands. direct out into a recorder sounded beautiul. great lows with singing highs. i love it. hartke haters, psh.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    back in the day, seemed everyone had a GK head and a couple of Hartke cabs....

Myself, I would have no problem with a Hartke backline... I actually want to try the 2x15.

19. Back in the day (mid 80's) I had a pair of Guild/Hartke 410's & a single 15. Powered it with a Yamaha power amp & a PB1. I was the envy of my small town. :rollno:

20. mike.b

mike.b

Aug 21, 2007
    england
    i use a 5500 head,vx4x10.vx1x15.one hell of a monster.have had it on 4 and me fillings were rattling.paid £890 for the rig.bargain!cabs are nice and light but the head could give you an hernia.i play my usa jazz through it and i can hear every note and nuance.