Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Attack Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Jul 13, 2005.

1. :) A short while ago, I was enquiring about this pedal/preamp, but couldn't find much info on it here on TB. I bought one anyways, cause they are pretty cheap here.

After going through some topics recently, it seems more and more people have them now. I would like to hear what you guys have to say about them - especially in comparison to the sansamp BDDI (how does the tube emulation compare)?

:p

2. Well I have never used a BDDI so I cant really be of help. I personally dont like the 'overdrive' on my VXL it sounds to much like its sitting on top of the sound unless you mix it fully which gives a huge volume increase. If you play incredibly quietly the distortion doesnt come through making it a bit annoying! It is quite cool in a band though it just appears to thicken the whole sound. On the plus side the shape filter is incredible, great for making a cheap bass sound better and for having access to a wide range of tones cheaply and easily :)

3. Fair comment, do you find you keep the shape filter on always, or do you switch it during songs? I have had the same problems with the gain boosting. I do like the way the tube filter really fattens the sound though! lets it cut through really well with a bit of added brightness...

4. Yeah the tube is great in a band :) Yes I do use the shape filter all the time, if I turn it off I notice this kinda cheap sounding bit in the mid range of my bass! For me its a sounds better switch. If I need a different tone I will get that using my technique like playing position etc or the tone knobs on my bass. I rarely move the shape filter, although if I was in a covers band I could see myself changing it most songs to nail the tone. It is really easy to go from a modern harsh grind to and old reggae throb. Its currently set at half way between 320 an the dot to the left. I really like the sound you get by cutting out the low frequencies so like 115 but then my bass sounds really thin. I am experimenting with using this in the effects loop of my SWR with a 50/50 blend but one of my leads has broken at the moment.

5. Yeah, I like the warwick tone I get from my thumb bass, so I rarely use the shape filter, but it can be nice for dialing in a good slap tone... do you know what kinda shape it actually has? is it just a notch or does it boost on either side of the notch also?

I also wanted to ask your opinion of those status basses, how are the electronics and pickups in those, say compared to say bartolinis or Seymore Duncans, and what tonal effect does the neck add?

6. I see you play an SWR, I dunno if you've had any experience with all tube amps? I was wondering how close the tube emulation on the Hartke comes to a real tube sound?

7. No sorry I dont have any experience with tube amps :( It would be interesting to hear from someone what the emulation is like. The filter is if I remember correctly a 20db notch filter, it says in the manual but I dont have it handy at the moment.

Status basses are very nice! I actually have the OLP (cheap musicman copy) with a status graphite neck. I have a thing for graphite necks and I saw that the neck was going with the cheap bass 'thrown in' so I bought it as it was an imporvement for my squier. Eventually I will save up for say a real Musicman then stick the graphite neck on and flog the other parts on ebay.

Graphite is quite a personal taste some like it, some dont. I personally love it for its growly sound and yet very clear articulate notes that really ring, almost piano like in the upper registers. I think it personally works best with the MM style pickup configuration, as again its nice and growly, I really like how when you dig in it becomes more 'aggressive' than a normal bass. Its pickup is just the el cheapo stock chinese pickup and same for the electronics. I have to say though that from trying bartolini's in my friends Modulus Flea Bass I found them to be very 'brittle' sounding and he agreed with me. He has now swapped them out for a Seymour Duncan musicman system and it sounds so much better :D

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There was a thread on this in the EFFECTS forum a month or two ago, you might want to check it out for more opinions.