1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke B60- Best bang for my buck

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Dec 1, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    My Peavey TNT 130 died. Good riddance. I was secretly hoping it would, as it sounded like poo, but I couldn't force myself to buy a new amp before the old one died. So, out I went to the used stores and finally to Sam Ash, where I got...

A Hartke B60! I love this amp! I am so poor it's not even funny, so I set the budget at $300 and went to town. I tried three amps, the B60, the Peavey Minx 110, and the SWR LA-12. I was hoping the SWR would sound better than it did, but it didn't. It had a tiny sound, and wasn't very loud at all. Same with the Peavey. No matter how I futzed with it, I couldn't get the mids to sound like I wanted. (This was a probem I had with my old Peavey- and that had a parametric mid control! And I STILL couldn't make it sound good!) I tried the B90 but liked the sound of the 12" driver better.

The B60 was 5.7 times punchier than the other amps, and way deep. I can play with the Shape control and get the tone I want, without even messing with the EQ. This is too cool. I haven't had any NEW gear in such a long time. When my Peavey died I knew it was impossible for me to lug my big rig around all the time- that's just a laughable notion. I can take this to lessons, small gigs, and church. Honestly, I don't even know when I'm going to need my big rig now. Maybe I could get an Avatar 1x12 cab and use that with my head... Ah well, I'm happy. :cool:

2. I like mine a lot, too. It's a little short on headroom with hot pickups, though.