Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke B60- Best bang for my buck

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Dec 1, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    My Peavey TNT 130 died. Good riddance. I was secretly hoping it would, as it sounded like poo, but I couldn't force myself to buy a new amp before the old one died. So, out I went to the used stores and finally to Sam Ash, where I got...

A Hartke B60! I love this amp! I am so poor it's not even funny, so I set the budget at $300 and went to town. I tried three amps, the B60, the Peavey Minx 110, and the SWR LA-12. I was hoping the SWR would sound better than it did, but it didn't. It had a tiny sound, and wasn't very loud at all. Same with the Peavey. No matter how I futzed with it, I couldn't get the mids to sound like I wanted. (This was a probem I had with my old Peavey- and that had a parametric mid control! And I STILL couldn't make it sound good!) I tried the B90 but liked the sound of the 12" driver better.

The B60 was 5.7 times punchier than the other amps, and way deep. I can play with the Shape control and get the tone I want, without even messing with the EQ. This is too cool. I haven't had any NEW gear in such a long time. When my Peavey died I knew it was impossible for me to lug my big rig around all the time- that's just a laughable notion. I can take this to lessons, small gigs, and church. Honestly, I don't even know when I'm going to need my big rig now. Maybe I could get an Avatar 1x12 cab and use that with my head... Ah well, I'm happy. :cool:

2. I like mine a lot, too. It's a little short on headroom with hot pickups, though.