Hartke bashing Eden !?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tightanic, May 21, 2003.

1. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    During the last days I've mad an interesting experience: I took a Eden 210XLT cab from my local music store to my rehearsal room, just in order to find out what it would sound like in "real life". As soon as I had played the first notes, I was shocked. This thing sounded (at least to me) plain bad. There was really nothing to it besides the serious volume-capabilities! The low-end completely disabled me to diversify my tone, the mids were not transparent at all, and the highs were just harsh and added heavy midrange-hiss to the signal :confused:. Maybe something was wrong with the cab, but I am not joking when I tell you that a Peavey 210 seems much more defined and pleasing to me! Very strange...

The next night I had some sort of "battle of the bands" gig where one of the bassists brought a Hartke Transporter 410. I connected the very same head, and this thing actually sounded very good, overall balanced, fat punch, slapping cut through the mix without needing to dial in honky mid frequencies, and it didn't even have a tweeter/horn!

Can you guys imagine that Eden cabs sound SUCH distingtive that I simply couldn't stand its caracter or do you think that something was wrong with it?

2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think you need to hear a cab in a band context to know what it's worth.
    The same type of thing frequently happens with Ampeg cabs.
    Peopel can't stand them because they test drive them in their bedrooms.
    A cab by itself, especially a bass cab, deoesn't mean much.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It sounds like it might be a defective cabinet! The Eden XLT's are usually fine sounding cabs!
  5. I'm not sure what "disabled me to diversify my tone" means (seriously), but the lack of mid transparency is one of Eden's big selling points--that big hump of low midrange may sound like ass in your bedroom, but it can eat guitars for lunch.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Word. A small room is not a good place ot audition a cab.
  7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm a hartke user myself, i played thru an eden once, the 2x10 CXC combo, and it rocked. but this how someone explained Eden Gear to me "If you plug in a crappy bass, it sounds great. if you plug in an OK bass, it sounds sweet. if you plug in a really good bass, the sound is amazing and you cannot beat it"

I have the Hartke 4x10 XL, and it rocks. I use it with an ampeg, and the tone is amazing. i was in a Guitar center playing thru some crate combo's that i used to really really like. now they just sound like crap to me. With my current rig, its easy to find out what is wrong with every other rig out there. I have so many tone options, it is amazing. I am extremeley Impressed with the hartke. After all, i only paid $200 for a now 550 dollar cab. and i never really liked 2x10s much. 4 or more rocks. :)
  8. Play through an Aguilar 4x10, and suddenly All Is Made Clear. I seriously regret selling mine.
  9. i like honky mid frequencies...
  10. Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    Peter: What I was trying to say was that I felt like each note I played sounded the same.
    Using a gentle touch didn't affect the feel or the tone of my playing, notes just varied in volume. It was literally impossible to "form" tones, they all sounded equally dull! (I hope this makes it a bit clearer ;) )

Just to ad something (perhaps I forgot to mention that in my initial post):
    I took the cab from the store to try it during a rehearsal, but the result was disappointing.
    Nevertheless, I don't think that "eating guitars for breakfast" is something I am primarily looking for in a cab. Just in case my guitarist refused to stop his jouney to tinitus-heaven, I would eat HIM for breakfast! :p
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While the cautions mentioned above are all valid, and you should take them into consideration, I had a similar experience with the Eden 210XLT and 410XLT. I know that a lot of people love them, but for me at least, it was not the sound that I was going after.

This is exactly what I found, too. I was playing ascending notes on the E string, and while you heard each one, the pitch didn't seem to change. It was weird. The rhythm part of the notes were there, but you could hardly discern the change in pitch. Granted, this wasn't for ALL notes, just those in the low to low-mid area. Keep in mind, also, that I am a fingerstyle player with a preference for passive axes. I think I had a P-bass in my hands at the time. Slappers, pickers, and active basses may have different results.

At the time I was shopping for a 4x10, and the XLT did not do it for me. Neither did SWR, which had similar shortcomings, although with a slightly differnet frequency "bump". What blew me away was the Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 "Deep". Much better articulation (for my playing style), very even frequency response, and I could hear and feel every note (including pitch!:D ) up and down the neck. So that's what I bought, and I still love it (though I am getting tired of lugging around its 120 lbs).

All of the above tests were done using a WT-800, BTW.

Now, I DO like Eden. I have a Navigator preamp, and a 212XLT (which sounds quite differnet from the 10" XLT cabs, IMHO, and is much more clear and articulate). I also had a chance to check out a T-210XST, and it was very impressive. Much more clarity and eveness than the XLT. From what you have posted, I think that you would greatly prefer the XST cabs.

Some folks love the 210/410XLT, and they certainly have earned their place in bassdom as a classic, quality piece of gear. However, for people like you and I, apparently, the XST line (or another brand of cabs) may fit our tastes better.

Then again, that 210XLT could have actually been messed up...

Hope this helps, Tom.
  12. Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    Actually I had no hard time hearing the "pitch", but I it simply didn't matter how hard I dug in the strings, it was just louder and quieter, but no changes in tonal articulation! Quite strange at all...
  13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Not every piece of quality gear is right for everyone, tastes vary, purposes and styles vary.

But what concerns me most is that you thought a Hartke TRANSPORTER sounded great. If you were a student of mine, I'd offer to pay for you to have your ears checked by an audiologist . . . ;)
  14. Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    :) Yea, right. I was surprised, too, since I expected it to sound average. I've owned a Glockenklang Double 2x12" before, and I seriosly have to admit that the Hartke suited my needs even better!:eek: Of course did the Glock offer a tad more definition, but even when I play Jazz (most of the time) I need a good amount of punch, and this cab had some of it! Of course it was not perfect, could have been a bit warmer, but the overall impression was really good! It is sad that they don't take any serious power, though.:rolleyes:

15. Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    Just talked to a fellow bassist, and he considered Hartke to be something like a Glock with fighting spirit! But this guy might really be deaf meanwhile...(countless years of ridiculous sound pressure)

16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've played some crappy gear in my time, but never anything that couldn't be made to sound at least passable. That amp you borrowed must be unwell.
  17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    If Hartke's sounded as good as Glocks....I could have stopped buying cabs 15 years ago;)
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Me too. I dial in some honk with my EQ.

19. I, too, add the honk. +6 at 400Hz, baby.
  20. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ditto with the old gear. The new gear does it by itself. Smiley face eq's suck.....