Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hartke bass amp help....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeym, Nov 6, 2003.

1. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    hey guys, i'm a new bassist... i play on a hartke at school and i love it... i believe that it puts out 140 watts out of a 15 inch aluminum dome (its a combo) i love how loud and great sounding it is.. and how it can take the low E at max power and still sound good... heres the deal... for christmas i'd like to get a loud bass amp that can handle the lows perfectly, but the other problem is that i'm low on cash because i'm getting a tenor sax also... is there an alternative to hartke (even though i'd like to stick with them) that can put out 100+ power for cheap, and have it sound good? ~ mikeym

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i want an amp to perform like a porsche but be as cheap as a ford festiva. You get what you pay for. The hartke is a good amp, but if you go any cheaper your gonna get pretty much a horrible amp. If you want to be able to play with a band with it about the cheapest best thing your gonna get ive played with is the peavey TKO. Its not the best tone in the world but itll do the job nicely.

3. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Man you need to get you're priorities straight. Tenor sax over bass? PAH! :rolleyes:

STAY AWAY FROM ROGUE!!!!! Trust me, it will die right after you get it.

The behringers sound good, but i've heard stories of the speakers getting blown in them, so I wouldn't get that.

Maybe try the new Fender Rumble amps? They don't look too bad.

5. 1. Cost should be one of the last things considered if you expect anything that you will like. (You get what you pay for with music gear).
    2. You will be much happier to save money and get something of at least somewhat higher quality.
    3. Stay away from Rogue and Behringer...far away.

My advice (as a result of personal experience)...This may be hard to hear...but...Save, your, money.

And after you do that, pat yourself on the back by buying a nice used ampeg or something!

Signed,
    Another dude who plays tenor sax and bass guitar.
    (Two realms rule my life....Warwick and Selmer.)

6. mikeym

mikeym

Sep 24, 2003
    Man you need to get you're priorities straight. Tenor sax over bass? PAH!

phh... expand your musical career and play multiple instruments... i play drums, sax, guitar, bass, and piano... by the way... i'm getting a black laquered tenor sax with white flames... ~mikeym

7. I did a lot of searching before I bought an amp for the church gig. I tried everything from Peavey to Fender and Ampeg to Trace Elliot... in the end I got the Hartke. You won't find a better amp for that amount of $$$$.

On the other hand, for a bit more I bought a Mesa WalkAbout and an Aggie 1x12 as my personal rig. It has an authority that the Hartke can't match... but it cost an extra $400.

If you're limited by $$$, you won't go wrong with the Hartke.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    As I also play various types of bagpipes, various drums, piano, as well as bass. But bass has top priority right now.;)

9. Hmmm. Really depends on how well you are at playing those instruments...There is a difference between dickin around and technicalities.

10. For a beginner bassist I recommend a used Peavey combo. Great bang for the buck.