hartke bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steelrock, Mar 30, 2005.

1. what is your experience with this brand of amplifier. If you have audio may I be linked to it. I'm interested in getting a 4x10 cabinet any and other suggestions would be helpful.
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, first thing is are you looking to get a head or a cabinet? I'm confused! The heads are all pretty decent. The cabs are a different story. The upper end cabs are pretty decent and I would avoid the lower end cabs unless you're playing quiet/low volume like gigs. I own 2 heads, a HA3000 and a HA5500. I use Avatar cabs though.
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    You'll find a lot of information with a search. This has been covered quite a bit.

I owned a 3500 and loved it. :)
  4. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    I still own my 3500 (though I don't use it too often) and it is a GREAT head. 10-band EQ, contour, compressor, and selectable tube/ss pre (though I suggest you swap that tube out for a GT or the likes, and I always played it with tube pre cranked and ss pre off). That's TONS of tone shaping for a very decent price. It's a bit on the heavey side though, 40ish pounds, but it is built like a TANK, that think could take a beating. I may be selling mine soon enough though...
  5. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    The current Sam :spit: Ash Ad shows the 5500 head (500w)
    on sale for 569.99 and the VX810 (8 x10") for 599.99
  6. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I have a Hartke 7000 and I think it's excellent. It's about 15 years old. The only problem I've had is replacing the power switch 2x (fairly easy). The older cabs are better imo.
  7. o2bass

Mar 30, 2005
    I just got rid of my VX-4x10 cabinet because well, it sucked.
    I've never used a hartke head but I've heard they're pretty decent and have some cool features like a nice EQ and stuff like that.

The vx410 just couldnt do larger venues, it bottomed out too easily and the horn cracked when I slapped. For reference, I was playing on a GK 700rb head.
  8. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    The amps are alright but they will leave you wanting more.
  9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    old mosfet 3500 here, I love it. I've had a handful of ampegs, peavey firebass, and even an eden wt600.

The ampegs were too boomy, the peavey just couldn't manage a tone, and the eden was just a little too perfect and clean for my likes.

I love the compression on the hartke heads, you can really manage a massive range of sounds just using the EQ and the compressor.
    The blendable pre-amps are great too, though I mostly just use the tube as well.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmmm.......depends on what you're using it for. I've found the key to maximizing this amp is to NOT turn the bass knob all the way up! Set it at 3 o'clock!
  11. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have a Hartke 5000. It's louder than other heads that claim similar watts. The built in compressor is not any good and the basic sound is ordinary. It does have a useful eq though, so it can sound pretty decent.
  12. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    Yea the compressor is not really good unless you are running it at high volumes. At lower volume you have to set it on infinite to even notice the compression. But it's still a kickass head. :p
  13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    This tune was recorded about a year ago. The bass track was re-done alone on a new track. You'll hear a little Hartke 1400 (their cheapest head) through a 240W, 8-Ohm 4X10 cab (I don't know what 'series' bottom that is). This cab is distant-miked; the GT-55 was maybe out 6 feet from the cab, in a small but fairly acoustically-correct room (basement studio of my design). The bass is a cheapie Peavy Foundation.

If this little one that I've been using is an example of how their pro units sound, then I like the Hartke sound - especially when you run the volume up-a-ways.

Hope this helps -

(edit) That was back when I was still using that mid-scoop 'conture' button; back before I was a mids-meister like I am now...