Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Bass attack VXL

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Micolao, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I need any available information about this preamp DI etc...
    the price is good, but seems not really popular 'round here.
    Everything will be appriciated.

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    search?

3. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    I own one, and to it`s price I find it very usefull in recordings and live. Very versatile and sturdy.:)

4. how are the eq options on this pedal? Is it flexible enough be used as an actual preamp?

5. I happen to really like the Hartke pedal both for live situations and recording. You can dial in really cool tones.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    IIRC, the preamp never turns off.

7. I may have to go and check one out.

8. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    I'd like to hear some clips of the clean sound and the distortion...

9. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    Well, there`s bass and treble, but I think the "Harmonizer" tends to boost the mids a bit and give a nice funky tone. The manual also comes with some nice settings for different tones, and I use them a starting-point for my own sounds.

10. This is strating to sound like it would work for me. I am going to run a dual amp setup and I am thinking of using this setup with a power amp into a 2x15 for my slightly dirty sound. I am going up to one of my local music stores to purchase a new bass today and I believe they have one of these. I will see if they will hook it up with a power amp and that mesa 2x15 I have been lusting for and see how she sounds.

11. The Di is great, the Preamp is fine, although I don't find the bass and treble knobs to be very sensitive. The Tube simulation is great for thickening up the sound or going into a good tube simulated overdrive (I've used this successfully live and in recording - listen to the chorus of Policy of Truth on our myspace site for the overdriven tone).

The Shape function is nice if you want a specific tone that it offers, but the gain boost when you switch on this function is too much for punching in and out during songs... the sound engineer will lose his Sh*t with you and drop you right out of the mix... So, if you use this function, keep it on or off. That is a major design flaw in this pedal IMO.

Otherwise the pedal is great - oh, and it won't cost you an arm and a leg either!