Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Bass Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by merdenoms2590, Oct 22, 2005.

1. merdenoms2590

merdenoms2590

Apr 30, 2005
  2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i had the 210 tp and the 210 xl. a 50hz low end (as posted) is pretty generous for either IMO, but especially so for the tp.

if sounds very tight and punchy (it's sealed i think, not ported).... but its not a real dig down low cab. pretty light, quite portable, and plenty sturdy.

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i have the 5000 head. i like it, used it for a while. it's versitle, gives you tonal options, has plenty power. mine is stereo out with corssover, the one you posted is mono out. that means the 5000 is 250 per side 4ohm, 170 per side 8 ohm.

It's a nice rugged, solid amp. the tube section doesnt growl or over drive, if thats what you want.

no foot pedals to switch from EQ on or off, or to switch tube / SS pre. Thats my biggest gripe.

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If you are getting a hartke cab, get one of the xl series or look elsewhere. Also, take a look at one of their 15" cabinets. It was my experience that they sounded a lot more even than their 210's.

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
  6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    That aggy will probably be a better bet than the hartke tp210. However, the aggy is reputed to be a tad mid shy (never used one personally), and a sealed 210 is going to be almost all mids. So if you are basing your decision off the sound you heard through a sealed 210, the aggy might be a bit of a surprise. Try each out if feasible. All that being said, I think that I would opt for the gs112 and eq in some mids over the tp series.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Hartke heads have had some adverse comments regarding reliability, but I have had no problems with either of mine at all (a 3000 and a 5000) and they both sound great to me, very clear, well defined sort of tone. So yeah, I agree with the comment about the tube pre on the 5000 not giving the overdriven sound, but that's not what I'm after.

Cabs - the 210xl I use with a 115xl and they work great together, but I wouldn't think the 210xl would give you a great sound on it's own, not enough bottom end. The 2.5xl (ported, with a 5" driver as well as the 2 10"s) is a great full range cab for small/medium gigs, and I prefer this to the 210xl overall now. So, I use...

Small/medium gigs - 2.5xl/3000 head
    Bigger gigs - 115xl/2.5xl/5000 head
    Bigger still - 115xl/2.5xl/210xl/5000 head